cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

security

drop4205
Level 12
What is everyone running for security on their computer. I am running windows essentials and maleware. I did get a rootkit virus that the maleware version got rid of but it was never detected prior. I am just wondering pros and cons of what is out there. Thanks
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11
11 REPLIES 11

kkn
Level 14
AVG have freee version if your interested.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The ROG home page has a AV (Kaspersky) if you want to try it.....free to ROG board owners ...It has (or at least had) an expired certificate....if it doesn't install just set your clock to March 7th and install it and then reset clock....

http://rog.asus.com/

Just click left or right on the top banner once or twice...

BearCat
Level 10
I've been a happy camper with Kaspersky for the last few years but you can see your options here
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

billyray520
Level 10
Windows Security Essentials here too. I like that they're very low profile, low overhead and may even work!
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Dinnr
Level 7
Currently I am using AVG 2012, it has saved me so many times from many many viruses.
I am getting Kaspersky 2013 when I finally get win 7 installed on my new PC that is sitting unused :(.
If Kaspersky doesn't work out I shall just go back to 'Ol faithful AVG and if any of you use McAfee please remove it now, McAfee can go to hell for all I care.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
I've used McAfee for the last 10 years and never had a problem with it, but, I will admit I am looking for something that isn't as resource hungry...though, nothing can ever top Norton's for resource hog and bad compatibility issues lol. I also do have MBAM installed too.

viking
Level 9
Hi guys

From what i've understand the two AV who have been competing at the "top" for several year's now are Kaspersky and Bitdefender. Give or take...

Anyway, i've tried both and what makes me move to AVG for some time was that both of them when they "think" they found something deleted it whitout a question! No options to restore, and no options to change this. This was a no-no if you ask me. BD finaly changed this because of false positive and so on, and so on. People went angry because of this, loosing safe stuff, and the forum on both heated up. Finaly BD changed it, so you now have a option to change this. For kaspersky i don't know.
Btw. I'm back on BD because of this change.

viking
MB: Asus Rampage IV Extreme CPU: 3960X Extreme Edition
RAM: G.Skill RipJaw Z (4x4GB 2133 Mhz) GPU: 2 x Asus Geforce GTX 680 Direct CU II TOP Ed. SLI
SSD: 2 x Intel 520 Series 240GB PSU: Corsair AX1200 CHA.: Cooler Master Cosmos II
COOL.: Corsair Hydro H100 KEYB.: Logitech G19 MOU.: Mad Catz Cyborg M.M.O.7 OPT.: Asus BW-12B1LT
HDD: 2 x WD Caviar Black Edition 2TB MON. 1: Samsung Syncmaster S23A700D
MON. 2 + 3: Samsung Syncmaster XL2370

Lorenzo
Level 7
I have tested all the antivirus, free and antivirus pay, and I think that Avast 8 Free Antivirus is the best of all. Free, with a good graphical interface and it work very well, but if you do not want a free antivirus you can try Kaspersky Antivirus 2013.

Lorenzo D.

SpeedyPC
Level 7
See my Sig below 😉
ASUS G75VX-T4153H