cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Pro 960 slow speeds

sonar
Level 7
HI.
So I have the latest bios for my motherboard and set the M.2 strap to pcie instead of Sata in the bios. Disabled CSM downloaded windows directly to a usb and installed windows 10 from the bios usb UEFI. Download the new Magician and... Samsung magician performance test shows my 960 pro 500 GB read speed at 1800 and write speed at 1635 when its supposedly rated and tested at 3500 read and 2500 write. The PCIe Gen shows 2 x 4. After that i have 1000000X installed windows again and still shows the same slowly write and read speed. :(:(:(
What am I missing? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks in advance
25 REPLIES 25

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
That's why I pointed you to that thread. Xmp is obviously setting gen 2.0....

I would just set RAM up manually...and be done...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
That's why I pointed you to that thread. Xmp is obviously setting gen 2.0....

I would just set RAM up manually...and be done...

Thank you so much Arne, you do not believe how long I've been looking for the solution and can you recommend a thread about overclocking my 5930k (Rampage extreme v)? I think overclocking the cpu (not to much :D) is much better than ram..!!! Today i have set the ratio limit to 40 and the cpu core voltage to 1.3.after reboot according to the normal ...bib..there was a very noisy bib bibbbb could not going to the os..:( forced to bios default settings and everything ok now...Probably I did something wrong,I should rather let the fingers of it to overclocking the cpu...!!!
Thanks again....!!!!!!

jab383
Level 13
To set RAM manually, start with the working profile you have for the CPU and peripherals like the 960. Select the DRAM clock and enter the primary timings at XMP values. You can leave other RAM settings at AUTO unless you want to try them manually. That should avoid unintended settings.

jab383 wrote:
To set RAM manually, start with the working profile you have for the CPU and peripherals like the 960. Select the DRAM clock and enter the primary timings at XMP values. You can leave other RAM settings at AUTO unless you want to try them manually. That should avoid unintended settings.

Will try it....thank you :D:D:D

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
To set up RAM manually

1. Change the AI Overclock Tuner to Manual
2. Select Memory Frequency and choose your RAM speed
3. Click on DRAM Timing Control to enter RAM timings page
4. Input your primary memory timings for your RAM
5. Return to the Extreme Tweaker tab and scroll down to the DRAM voltage option. Set the appropriate volatge
6. Press F10. Save and exit BIOS.

Good guide thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

Check out post https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

And I posted some settings which might be useful as a guide...of course voltages your own...have to tinker a bit. https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51063-The-Haswell-E-Overclocking-Thread-and-Overclocking-G...

Hawkstorm
Level 7
sonar wrote:
HI.
So I have the latest bios for my motherboard and set the M.2 strap to pcie instead of Sata in the bios. Disabled CSM downloaded windows directly to a usb and installed windows 10 from the bios usb UEFI. Download the new Magician and... Samsung magician performance test shows my 960 pro 500 GB read speed at 1800 and write speed at 1635 when its supposedly rated and tested at 3500 read and 2500 write. The PCIe Gen shows 2 x 4. After that i have 1000000X installed windows again and still shows the same slowly write and read speed. :(:(:(
What am I missing? Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks in advance

I have the 2GB 960 pro and I'm having the same problems, and the same results.

Hawkstorm wrote:
I have the 2GB 960 pro and I'm having the same problems, and the same results.

I have the 2.2 Samsung driver installed but it makes no difference with or without it.

The new version of Samsung's Magician has some remarkably onerous terms in what they want you to agree to. Be sure to read them if you deploy it.

To summarize: They can siphon endless data off your drive, including but not limited to what programs you have installed, how often you use them, what kinds of things you order online, your contacts list, your calendar, your browser history, any personal data they can find, and on and on. They are then allowed to use this data in any manner they wish, including selling it or bartering it to third parties about whom you know nothing.

If you deny the software online access through your firewall, it won't load.

Once I actually read the terms, I uninstalled it and deleted every vestige of it from my system.

Know what you're getting into.

Blue11 wrote:
The new version of Samsung's Magician has some remarkably onerous terms in what they want you to agree to. Be sure to read them if you deploy it.

To summarize: They can siphon endless data off your drive, including but not limited to what programs you have installed, how often you use them, what kinds of things you order online, your contacts list, your calendar, your browser history, any personal data they can find, and on and on. They are then allowed to use this data in any manner they wish, including selling it or bartering it to third parties about whom you know nothing.

If you deny the software online access through your firewall, it won't load.

Once I actually read the terms, I uninstalled it and deleted every vestige of it from my system.

Know what you're getting into.

Samsung Magician Software Agreement :

3. CONSENT ON DATA USE AND TRANSFER

You understand and agree that Samsung will collect, use and transfer internationally data relating to your device, including technical information about the systems and applications, application programs and devices associated with and connected to your device, in order to provide product support, engage in statistical research, upgrade our software and provide other related services. This data may be shared with other Samsung affiliates worldwide and our service providers for these purposes.

Hawkstorm wrote:
I have the 2.2 Samsung driver installed but it makes no difference with or without it.

Just an FYI, its been proven time and again that there is no discernible difference between the windows native drivers and the Samsung drivers.

960 windows native

Samsung drivers

2x 960 1TB in raid 0 with IRST shows some gains but suffers form DMI bottleneck.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein