cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Strix Z390-E Wont POST with XMP enabled

Otheos
Level 7
My new build will not POST when I do any changes with the RAM settings.
I'm just trying to have it run at the manufactured settings: 4000Mhz @ 19-19-19-39
I have Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Desktop Memory Model PVS416G400C9K
It will only boot in Auto.
I have the newest bios version installed.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hardware:
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Patriot Viper Steel 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
3 REPLIES 3

BigJohnny
Level 13
First is that a single kit or multiples for two or more kits
Secondly that particualr memory is not on the motherboards QVL list. Always try to buy memory thats listed on the QVL. If its not there that doesnt mean it wont work, just that its not been verified to be 100% compliant. You also might want to check the ram volatge as when wetting it to XMP it doent change that, you have to change it yourself. It needs to be at least at 1.35V if not 1.4V

Hi Otheos; Has your issue been resolved..?
I was experiencing that similar strange issue after upgrading my BIOS as well... In addition to what BigJohnny said, I would start the system to windows (if already installed) with the default settings... I had to to clear the CMOS several times, as part of the RAM training.
Once you've verified it works fine, boot back to BIOS and enable the first XMP level (leave the voltage as auto); boot back into Windows...
Once that is fine, do it again with XMP II enabled...
At least me ROG Z390-E seems to test and re-train my RAM every time it start. I have it running with default voltages, except for the CPU...

My build...:
ASUS ROG Z390-E, BIOS 1401
Intel i9-9900K, 5GHz 1.375v, w/ 4 AVX Offset and level 7 for Load Line 😄
HyperX 32 GB (8x4), 2666 MHZ, 1.2V, CL16

Thank you for the responses.

BigJohnny:
I wish i knew about a QVL list before buying these. It is two kits with two sticks of the same type of ram each.

I did see that XMP does try to upvolt the ram to 1.45. I tried adjusting the voltage to 1.35 and 1.40 with all 4 sticks in but no changes.

Now i can get it to boot to windows with the correct timings and 1.35v with xmp1 enabled with the sticks populating slots 1 & 3 and/or 2 & 4. but with only 2 sticks at a time. If i add all 4 though, its back to square one. I've used all 4 sticks with the 2 sticks of 16gb setup and they all work but only in pairs, not quad.

Omega9:

When you cleared your CMOS did you do the shorting of CLRTC method or removed the battery?
I'm not seeing the battery so im sure its under some plastic cover. And i'd have to remove parts to get access to it.
Can i just short CLRTC with a paperclip?