cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Secure Erase No Drive Listed

gerry_ning
Level 7
Hi,

I was trying to secure erase a M2 Samsung 960 EVO by using Asus ROG’s secure erase feature. How ever, when I login to the bios and under the secure erase tap, there is no drive listed. I only the Samsung M2 drive in my system. Is this some sort of hidden lock to prevent the SSD from being erased or something else?

I’d really appreciate if anyon knows how to proceed.

Thanks!!!*
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
M.2 drives are not supported as far as I know for secure erase in bios, at least NVME drives
You need to install your NVME M.2 drive on a board with an OS and use software to secure erase, or use a bootable utility disk to erase
I boot to a Windows install disk (or USB) and delete all the partitions to clean the drive

Menthol wrote:
M.2 drives are not supported as far as I know for secure erase in bios, at least NVME drives
You need to install your NVME M.2 drive on a board with an OS and use software to secure erase, or use a bootable utility disk to erase
I boot to a Windows install disk (or USB) and delete all the partitions to clean the drive

Thanks for the prompt reply. After checking with manual that neither Asus or Samsung supports secure erase as long as the drive is the primary one. So I created a USB bootable windows 10 and tried to securely erase the primary one as "secondary", but now it seems that the drive is in frozen state and I cannot get it work as the moment. Any advice on that?

Thanks!!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Have you done as suggested and tried this from within the operating system and Samsung's software?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Have you done as suggested and tried this from within the operating system and Samsung's software?

Samsung Magician requires that the drive cannot be the primary system drive. Therefore, I created a Windows 10 bootable drive as the primary, and the SSD is secondary. Fortunately, it worked and recognized the SSD but I cannot securely erase it because it says the drive is in frozen state. That's where I am having issue with as I do not know how to unfrozen it. Traditionally, you just unplug the SATA power and it should work, but the drive is a M.2 drive and installed onto the MB, it is very difficult to access it and there is no guarantee it will work this time.

Or if anyone knows a way of doing it simpler that I may not know.

JustinThyme wrote:

Yes, I have tried. Samsung's magician requires the drive cannot be the primary OS drive. Therefore, I created a USB bootable drive as primary drive and the SSD as secondary. It worked until a message saying the drive is in frozen state. There is no option for me to unfrozen it. I'm really frustrated by now. My purpose is to wipe clean the drive and reinstall everything. If the drive was a 2.5 inch SSD, it will be no problem using Asus's secure erase. Becuase Asus software does not recognize M.2 drive, it forced me to look for other solution, but so far none works.

Menthol
Level 14
I don't know if it's the same but to secure erase an Intel 750 NVME drive using Intel's software I booted to a 960 pro, Inte's software would not erase the drive because it had the UEFI partitions, I booted to an OS disk, clicked Install, deleted all 4 partitions, exited out and booted to my 960 then I was able to use Intel's software to secure erase
I have no idea if it will work with Magician, and I am not sure if secure erase did a better job than just deleting all partitions

The best option is to download a bootable partition manager (google), install on CD of USB and boot to it, some give option for secure erase, write all 0's or 1's, etc. google will find several free options to chose from, I download Ultimate boot CD from MajorGeeks.com
http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/ultimate_boot_cd_(ubcd).html
You can find Youtube video's if needed