cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Antivirus for gamers?

RogueNote
Level 9
Hello everyone!
After setting up my new G751 I used in the past 2-3 days just Windows Defender and scanned every few
days with Malwarebytes Free. Would that be enough or am I at risk?
As the performance of the laptop does not seem to be affected almost at all by it. I browse pretty safely and mostly just on official games websites and Art like 500px.

Then yesterday I downloaded Avast and turned off Windows defender but I had some issues with internet speed and videos loading in 1080p on Youtube. Which seems to have been the issue of Avast and Games First lll not getting along so I uninstalled both and installed Avast back and now it does not give me any internet issues but I am wondering. Is it worth keeping a slightly more resource eating antivirus instead of Windows Defender?

What are your thoughts or recommendations of any better free ones?
20 REPLIES 20

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
I have used MS Security Essentials, exclusively, for the last ten years, and I have never had any issues beyond the occasional browser exploit - usually acquired because of a packaged executable, but those are easy to deal with.

But then, I also don't click on silly things.

Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
I have used MS Security Essentials, exclusively, for the last ten years, and I have never had any issues beyond the occasional browser exploit - usually acquired because of a packaged executable, but those are easy to deal with.

But then, I also don't click on silly things.

Z

Oh okay so you would say to stick with Windows Defender and keep the max performance instead of getting some resources eaten by Avast ?
Thanks for your reply 😃

X-ROG
Level 15
Have a good router and don't download anything dodgy. That'll keep you safe just as much. Our most recent top-end routers have anti-virus built in to check what site's you're visiting and what you're downloading afaik.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Have a good router and don't download anything dodgy. That'll keep you safe just as much. Our most recent top-end routers have anti-virus built in to check what site's you're visiting and what you're downloading afaik.

Thank you for the reply! Sadly I got the router from the ISP as it's that type that goes thru my home phone.
Oh and if you have time can you check your pm's please? ^^

Antronman
Level 10
If you're really worried, get Kaspersky.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

I always get Kaspersky. It seems to do the trick for me.

uofaboy wrote:
I always get Kaspersky. It seems to do the trick for me.

Yes I have heard quite good stuff about that one but doesn't it take a lot on resources? Was thinking eventually at Avast or Windows defender so it won't slow down the laptop while gaming and such. Still not decided though ^^'

Goggle_Eye
Level 7
From what I have read Kaspersky uses a lot of system resources. Tried both Norton Security 2015 and uninstalled it. Works well not light on system resources compared to Nod32., Prefer Nod32 anti virus only 30 day free trial. Very good interface. Gamer mode and very light on system resources. Use Malaware Bytes free for malware never had an infection pretty careful on the net and e mails. Do not need all of the security sweets Firewalls etc. Windows 7 firewall is very good. How ever the best protection is what you type on the Key Board and web sights visited.
CaseLabs Magnum 8
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
I7 4930K 4.5GHz
Noctua NH D14
G-Skill Z Series 2133 MHz 16 Gb
2x GTX 780 S.C.
PSU Corsair AX 1500 I
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 2 Tbs Each
2 x Intel 730 Series 480 GBs Each
Sound On Board

Is the amount of system resources used by these anti-virus really such a big deal with modern machines? If you have a quad or hexa core cpu, 16 GB of RAM and a SSD I can't see them being too much of a drain. I'm using Kaspersky and I never notice any difference with it running or not running. Except when benchmarking I guess.