cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rampage III black edition north + south bridge thermal past change

matbry01
Level 7
hi guys, finally got back on hear due to new email change and everything, finally giving the rig a overhaul, I got a question on thermal pads replacement on the north and south bridge, would it be ok with replacing it with past instead of the pads ? any feedback would be great 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes if clearance isn't an issue.

A good non conductive paste will cool better than the cheapo pads they use but you have to look how thick the pads are...if they are thick because there is a gap that has to be closed maybe paste is not an option

More than one have put paste on their pads...both sides

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Yes if clearance isn't an issue.

A good non conductive paste will cool better than the cheapo pads they use but you have to look how thick the pads are...if they are thick because there is a gap that has to be closed maybe paste is not an option

More than one have put paste on their pads...both sides

very true I was thinking that if they have pads, had a look both heatsinks have a set of screws coming through the board that makes me think paste should be ok, still currently got a load of cleaner on order to re past the cpu so I shall have a look when it is through.
what would be a high quality pad to replace it with if paste is a no go? looked on overclockers and it is a minefield :S

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I'd have a look at what's on there just for an idea of thickness...

But assuming there isn't some huge gap to fill I'd get something like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermal-grizzly-minus-pad-8-100x-100x-1-0-mm-th-007-tg.html

and then cut to size...

Nice to see someone rocking that board still!

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I'd have a look at what's on there just for an idea of thickness...

But assuming there isn't some huge gap to fill I'd get something like this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/thermal-grizzly-minus-pad-8-100x-100x-1-0-mm-th-007-tg.html

and then cut to size...

Nice to see someone rocking that board still!

excellent cheers I was looking at that the other day, received a tube of arctic silver 5 for the cpu so will do that when I receive my cleaning kit for the cpu and waterblock as the mrs was home had to re-schedule the posty for it 😞 will crack them off and have a look when I get the rest of my stuff.

yup indeed I am haha still going strong !! would love to upgrade it but it is still going strong and run games perfectly well, can run forza horizon 4 on max settings with my 1070ti and have a solid fps.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK cool...let us know how it goes and what you find under there 🙂

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
OK cool...let us know how it goes and what you find under there 🙂

so just cracked them both open, there was a chip on the south bridge with a very naff sticky residue thermal pad there so I just done a test fit with no pad so there was plenty of space and compression on-top the intel chip, so I cleaned and prepped it with the articlean kit then put a squidge of arctic silver 5 on that one.

the north bridge had thermal paste on it that was in such bad shape and the heatsink had a copper base, there was also a thermal pad across the vrm's managed to gently prize the heatsink of the pad and left it nearly intact to the point it was slightly cracked, there will be another strip on order soon to replace it. then I re gooped the north bridge and re assembled and temps are down 3-6 degrees on both and cinibench score has come out with a all-time high,

although it is supposed to be a locked 3.2-I7 with 6C/12T got it clocked to 4.02ghz the cinibench score is 951. :cool::cool:

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Nice one! Yeah it's worth replacing stock pastes...especially as time goes by...the cat poop they use really dries out! Glad to see temps are falling!:cool: