cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage 6E super high PCH temps, possible cause of BSOD?

DJLTY
Level 7
Hey,

Enjoying my Rampage 6 extreme, but recently I'm running into problems with BSODs. First, I thought it was when I flashed the 1401 BIOS, but after setting everything to default stock and seeing the PCH temps still skyrocket, I'm not sure what to do. First here's my specs:

i9 7490X
R6E
128gb Corsair vengeance ram
512gb Samsung 960 pro in slot under armor (near PCIE lanes)
2tb Samsung 960 pro in side m.2 DIMM
Another sata SSD & a regular HDD
Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080Ti
EVGA Supernova 1300w psu
Asus Thunderbolt 3 PCIe card
EK Supremacy EVO cpu block with coolstream 360 rad and a D5@max
6 fans in a Corsair 540 air case so no airflow issues

When my 512gb 960 was in the m.2 slot under the board cover, I thought maybe the heat was transferring. AIDA64 was saying my PCH Diode temp crawled up to almost 80 degrees, and noticed even after flashing 1201, 1301 or now on 1401 BIOS, it didn't matter. I took the m.2 out and moved it to the DIMM m.2 slot, and left my case open, and now things are down to 70 on the diode at idle. This is still very high compared to what I've looked up online, where people saying their's are in the 50's max and over 80 is getting near critical.

I'm reading about this and thinking it could possibly be the thermal pad or paste on the diode, but, I've honestly never had this problem before in years of builds. My biggest questions are, A) will new paste even do anything, & B) will it void the warranty? The board is only about 6 months old, and with it being a full water build it's a pain in the ass to tear down. I'd also hate to void the warranty and get stuck with a $650 overheating board. I'll be emailing ASUS rep for the warranty question, since these are enthusiast boards so I don't know if they care about people tinkering.

Or is the PCH getting that high not even a problem? I'm not sure why I've been having some constant BSODs, and now it seems fine. I'm so confused.

Any help would be great! Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

Retired
Not applicable
So at first, the PC was overclocked and then you set it to default values. Now the temperature's are too high.
It seem's that the overclocked has affected your motherboard and some setting's can't be reverted. I had an Rampage II Extreme a while ago, overclocked, everything was working fine for about a couple months however I had to set back to default values because the cpu settings started going crazy. But once I changed to default values, the cpu was never the same. Although I didn't experience high motherboard temperatures. I do remember experiencing BSOD's.
Can I ask you, why did you overclock a top of the line system like that?

Menthol
Level 14
As for BSOD's, could be a Windows update, some people have experienced similar issues with TB3 cards installed.

As for PCH temps, not having that particular board I do not know what is common but that does sound high to me, but it is more than likely lack of airflow directly onto the PC heatsink

When you changed to default values did you clear CMOS using the button on the rear I/O panel, sometimes all bios values will not set to default without a full clear CMOS