cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"New" form factor discussion - SFX MXM?

FireFlower
Level 9
When I saw this I was immediately drooling.

click image to open it in full size (ROG forum doesn't autoscale to fit)

Link to article: https://smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-z270m-stx-mxm-pictured

I have been wondering while we still use old big form factors, gradually people are shifting to mATX and m-ITX but we could still go even more smaller. I wonder is Asus going to join this bandwagon of downsizing motherboards?

Would be great if you could use laptop graphics cards and desktop CPU's to go even smaller builds in SLI / Crossfire.

Just couple things that I would change: angled so-dimms, mostly M.2 ports and provide a M.2 conversion board for older sata connections, dump all old power connections and make more neat power connectors, 24pin ATX connector is so old and big so it takes too much room. I know delivering enough amperage for CPU might be challenging with slimmer and smaller connectors but should be possible.

Cooling solution: possible to make uniblock CPU+2xGPU waterblock? Or simply just bolt on copper heat sinks and use big & thick server style blower fans that are not so high RPM.

What do you others think? Should we follow this path?
Romuluotain 9
Ryzen 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 2x16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 Ti, ~10TB total storage (good bye ROG, for n...
Romuluotain 8
Dell XT3, Core i7-2620M, 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz sodimm, 2TB SSD, Sierra wireless LTE, AX200 Wifi-6, Linux Mint
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I like it and would consider building around one. It's nice for certain circumstances, like if you wanted to make a console sized gaming rig. I don't think it will replace full sized boards though. Full sized are more versatile, easier to cool, etc.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I like it and would consider building around one. It's nice for certain circumstances, like if you wanted to make a console sized gaming rig. I don't think it will replace full sized boards though. Full sized are more versatile, easier to cool, etc.

Yeah I am sure it won't replace the old standard overnight but generally speaking I am totally sold for these concepts. Hopped to ITX train immeadly with Z68 and have stayed on that thanks Intel making god-tier CPU that just keeps going.

Now I would love to see X300 AM4 SFX MXM and totally would upgrade my system and probably hand craft custom case for it.

Nice to see competent AMD release for a while that won't be hot as sun.
Romuluotain 9
Ryzen 3600, MSI B450M Mortar Max, 2x16GB DDR4, GTX 1080 Ti, ~10TB total storage (good bye ROG, for n...
Romuluotain 8
Dell XT3, Core i7-2620M, 2x4GB DDR3-1600MHz sodimm, 2TB SSD, Sierra wireless LTE, AX200 Wifi-6, Linux Mint

FireFlower
Level 9
Now that Ryzen has been launched and I am pretty excited about it. On anandtech The Stilt released very in-sighted article of Ryzen's inner workins and power scaling figure using Cinbebench R15 and we could expect as low as 30W Ryzen chips hitting 800 points in R15. Of course these were 16 thread units so I wonder how nice R3 or R5 ryzens will scale with power consumption but it is pretty exciting.

Now we just need small form factor x300 boards in ITX and hopefully we could see this new form factor also happening to see how consumers will react to new very small powerful form factor.
Romuluotain 9
Romuluotain 8