cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

putting pc to sleep or..???

ddmeltzer8
Level 7
Hi.
I want to know if Asus has any guidelines for what to do with desktop when its not in use.
Or if anyone has any thoughts around the topic.

Thanks for all responses in advance.
Cheers.
11 REPLIES 11

JustinThyme
Level 13
This is a controversial subject. Ive gone pretty much every way based on popular polls at any given time which can and do change. In the beginning it was power up do what you have to do then shut it down. That moved on to "Hey you should leave it running all the time as its better for the electronics, they will last longer. After several years when I figured out I was moving things to my parts grave yard before they broke to make way for a system upgrade I put that theory to bed. People were having competitions on how long their machine stayed up and running. I cringe thinking about the wasted power. I had a folding farm of an entire walk in closet full of mother boards stacked on shelves with no case, no graphics, no drive all just CPUs and a network boot, 26 of them to be exact. I had to put in a spot AC to cool that closet. I wasted thousands on this effort. I stopped when I remoted into the sever that hosted them all to find out my entire farm was idle. I contact Stanford university and finally got to the correct dept to see what was going on. They have ZERO PCs doing the folding not a single one. They have a single server that issues the projects and collects the results that doesn't even have UPS back up. It took a power hit and was down for several days. The Student who was running the project at the time said its no big deal. The project has little to no impact on anything and is just a way for students to keep a continuous thesis project passing it down from one group to the next year after year on distributed computing. All these people have been duped and continue to get duped. Folding protiens? Yeah I bought into that for awhile. Wake up sunshine, a piece of hardware cannot reproduce a biological function.

Sorry wandering a bit there.
The trend then went to sleep or hibernate and arguments on which of those was most effective and popular, this one I never adopted.
In the end ironically I found myself back at the beginning. Regardless of what it is, save my cell phone of course, If its not in use it gets turned off.....

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
This is a controversial subject. Ive gone pretty much every way based on popular polls at any given time which can and do change. In the beginning it was power up do what you have to do then shut it down. That moved on to "Hey you should leave it running all the time as its better for the electronics, they will last longer. After several years when I figured out I was moving things to my parts grave yard before they broke to make way for a system upgrade I put that theory to bed. People were having competitions on how long their machine stayed up and running. I cringe thinking about the wasted power. I had a folding farm of an entire walk in closet full of mother boards stacked on shelves with no case, no graphics, no drive all just CPUs and a network boot, 26 of them to be exact. I had to put in a spot AC to cool that closet. I wasted thousands on this effort. I stopped when I remoted into the sever that hosted them all to find out my entire farm was idle. I contact Stanford university and finally got to the correct dept to see what was going on. They have ZERO PCs doing the folding not a single one. They have a single server that issues the projects and collects the results that doesn't even have UPS back up. It took a power hit and was down for several days. The Student who was running the project at the time said its no big deal. The project has little to no impact on anything and is just a way for students to keep a continuous thesis project passing it down from one group to the next year after year on distributed computing. All these people have been duped and continue to get duped. Folding protiens? Yeah I bought into that for awhile. Wake up sunshine, a piece of hardware cannot reproduce a biological function.

Sorry wandering a bit there.
The trend then went to sleep or hibernate and arguments on which of those was most effective and popular, this one I never adopted.
In the end ironically I found myself back at the beginning. Regardless of what it is, save my cell phone of course, If its not in use it gets turned off.....

Whats a "folding farm"???
Thanks.

ddmeltzer8 wrote:
Whats a "folding farm"???
Thanks.

search folding@home

Most only donate the clock cycles they aren’t using but a farm *is deducted machines that run the distributed computing 24x7 pretty much staying at 100% load the whole time.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
search folding@home

Most only donate the clock cycles they aren’t using but a farm *is deducted machines that run the distributed computing 24x7 pretty much staying at 100% load the whole time.*

Donating clock cycles?Deducted machines?Distributed computing?
I dont get it...Maybe I`m missing something.

my friend used to do it because he was too lazy to open up his stuff every time, so he put computer to sleep overnight

used to is the keyword

one day he went to sleep as usual leaving his PC in sleep mode, next day he woke up to dead PC

turns out there was a dry storm nearby, no rain just lighting, it hit powerline nearby and the surge went through whole installation, it wasn't a direct hit that would burn everything down but it was still significant surge in installation, despite having circuit breakers in each residence, it hit his PC and other house appliance that was running overnight (well beside PC it was just fridge), other locators in building also had some damages

since that day he always shuts off his PC overnight and even more, unplugs it, because you never know whats going to happen overnight, you cant protect yourself 24/7 but its just about minimizing risk

if anything, hibernation is safer than sleep, because in hibernation all data is dumped on HDD and you can actually cut the power and data will be preserved and loaded to memory on next startup, in sleep mode, you cut the power and you lose what you were doing
Dargus Maximus
~Explorer ~Engineer ~Guide
My Youtube channel - PC modding, streaming, gaming

Menthol
Level 14
I let my system run 24/7, sleep function is one of my stability tests after setting up a system, if it doesn't enter and recover from sleep it's not stable

Matuzz
Level 8
Honestly it doesn't matter. If it's always on your HDD might get more wear in the long run. I personally shut down my system when it's not in use.

Here is what different manufacturers say about the topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/76pymk/do_you_guys_shut_down_your_pc_every_night_part_2/

Matuzz wrote:
Honestly it doesn't matter. If it's always on your HDD might get more wear in the long run. I personally shut down my system when it's not in use.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/76pymk/do_you_guys_shut_down_your_pc_every_night_part_2/

How would u know if its on 24/7?
Thanks.

Matuzz wrote:

Thanks,that article seems to be what I`m looking for!
I dont have a hdd,so...well,I have a few but they arent usually active.
Dont u find it strange that theres no consensus???Dont manufacturers research what would be best for their parts?

Cheers.