cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing info in Hawaii?

septic
Level 9
I've recently ordered all the equipment for a new build and it was a painful introduction to purchasing hardware online here... Is there anyone else here in Hawaii with the scoop on any decent local vendors? Even with amazon prime and newegg's premium membership, it added over 300 usd to the build. Any help at all would be appreciated!
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
erm....excuse me for having no sympathy for you whatsoever LOL

😉

septic
Level 9
I smell what your steppin' in Arne but lets be realistic...lol

Thanks kkn and believe me, I live and die by that sword... All the places I've been to on this island seem to be so inundated with repairs that they could care less about selling a few pieces of hardware. I've visited 12 computer shops including the ones we have on the military bases here and not one called/emailed me back with the prices on items I requested. It's a little frustrating but I can learn to live with it. Like Arne was saying, I could have worse problems... 😉

septic wrote:
I smell what your steppin' in Arne but lets be realistic...lol

Hahaha 😄

Shame it's more expensive for you but I guess that would apply to any shops there too and the markup might be even higher...

kkn
Level 14
well if you know enny of the ppl on the base that goes over to the mainland ( US ) mabye they can get the parts for you or if you know one there that can try and ship it for you ? ( if that can be cheaper ).
is there a "best buy" store around?
mabye stop by there and see what they have of parts.

the problem is that private market ( like you and me ) is more expensive then when it comes to the larger market ( like companies ) that just get a stock pc whit a small upgrade witch is cheaper in the long run.
for all the RMA and things like that.

kkn wrote:
well if you know enny of the ppl on the base that goes over to the mainland ( US ) mabye they can get the parts for you or if you know one there that can try and ship it for you ? ( if that can be cheaper ).
is there a "best buy" store around?
mabye stop by there and see what they have of parts.

the problem is that private market ( like you and me ) is more expensive then when it comes to the larger market ( like companies ) that just get a stock pc whit a small upgrade witch is cheaper in the long run.
for all the RMA and things like that.

Sadly, what kkn says is true. The consumer (non-boutique) sellers buy in bulk, so they cheaper prices per-item and they usually have conctratcs too, which means even lower prices. So they can sell everything for a lower price and make a profit. Once you get into boutiques, or just customized the whole game changes though.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

septic
Level 9
I have tried best buy and they will price match but they take you to the cleaners for special shipping out here. I really do appreciate your help though! I'm thinking i'll just get used to it honestly. Nothing is perfect but it is paradise... :cool:

septic wrote:
I have tried best buy and they will price match but they take you to the cleaners for special shipping out here. I really do appreciate your help though! I'm thinking i'll just get used to it honestly. Nothing is perfect but it is paradise... :cool:

By the way, I think I agree with arne. No sympathy. Like, at all.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

abvolt
Level 11
Shipping costs do suck dude but at least we get to look at post #3, thank you Arne...
Current: MSI Xpower Gaming Titanium | 7700K | G Skill Ripjaws V 3000 16Gb | 960 EVO 500Gb | Intel 730 480Gb | Seasonic 1000 Platinum |
NZXT X62 | Acer XB270HU | EVGA 1080 ti FTW3

Secondary: R4BE | 4930K | G.SKILL 2400 16GB | Corsair AX 1500i
Intel 730 240GB + 480GB | EVGA GTX780 ti sli kpe | Custom H20