cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor configuration advice or ....?

FoxAdriano
Level 11
Hi, I make video editing in UHD and use Edius 9, a program that only uses the processor to work. I recently changed the camera for filming, but also updated the BIOS several times. I'm not a BIOS expert and I'm afraid I forgot to configure something important. I'm noticing that the progress bar on the Edius timeline is having a lot of trouble scrolling. It is very slow and jerky, giving a very bad vision. As for the BIOS I only configured the RAM: I selected X.M.P. and set the RAM to 3200 MHz.
The PC is from 2018 old, butI had put top quality elements. I've noticed that when the PC renders, I don't hear an increase in processor "noise". It is as if the various cores are not used. Is anyone experienced kind enough to tell me what I can do to improve the quality of video editing? I'm happy to improve it even a little, but I have to do something. THANKS for some info.
I attach my configuration.

CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Full Tower
CPU: Intel i9 7940X
MOTHERBOARD: Asus PRIME X299-DELUXE
VIDEOCARDS: NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti

SSD Drives:
(C) 512GB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for Windows 10)
(D) 2TB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 2TB SATA III 6Gbit/s interface (for video exporting
(E) 1TB Samsung 960 EVO PCIe M.2 NVMe (for video editing)
“C” and “E” are therefore the most important SSDs for working
RAM:
DIMM DDR4 32GB G.Skill PC 3200 CL14 KIT (4x8GB) 32GTZR Tri/ Z RGB [F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR]
COOLING SYSTEM: Corsair H150i 360mm cooler
POWER SUPPLY: Corsair CP-9020093-EU RMx Series 850 Watt ATX/EPS Power Supply
3 REPLIES 3

Jnanislore
Level 9
Sounds like you have it in order as long as the computer is posting, along with going into Windows, so the BIOS is fine, but as long as the program supports multithreading and isn't having an issue using more than a single core, you should be good. The noise coming off the processor is normally only experienced on a brand-new processor and it goes away or gets quite over time, and it normally fades within a few months, so I wouldn't use that as an indicator of the processor not working, and I'd suggest installing a program for your CPU to see how it's running, and if you're using AMD then I'd suggest Armoury Crate, but I'd recommend a brand-new video card, as the program uses more than a CPU to power it, as outlined in the system requirements under graphics card, so I'd be willing to bet it's your graphics card slowing it down, but you need a decent processor to power a decent graphics card, so I'd suggest pairing your old processor to the best video card it will run without going overboard, as going overboard won't make a difference since it'll be the processor slowing it down, as per the bottleneck, and in this case it'll be on the processor and not the video card if you go overboard, so try to get something that'll run good for the processor you have, and try to get something decent. I'd recommend a video card with at least four to eight gigs. More ram is good too to speed everything else up, so say sixteen gigs of system ram, so two DIMMS of eight gigs each, because memory runs in duel channel the fastest, so I'd stick to two, and read your motherboard manual to understand how to install the DIMMS to get it into duel channel memory mode for the best results, but yeah, video card and system ram, along with DDR on the video card, and they all come with DDR, so try to get one with four or eight gigs, and I'd say leave your processor alone, as that's not the problem. The only other thing you can do is minimize startup programs to further tune the computer and system resources as it'll optimize everything even more, but yeah, that's about all I would suggest with current intel. If you're in Windows using 64 bit you can have as much system ram as you need, and I only recommend sixteen because I'm a gamer, but have at least sixteen, and on a 64 bit OS, you can have as much as you want, and you'd need to look up the numbers both for 32 and 64 as I don't know them right offhand, as I'm currently on 16, and that's enough for me, but using an editor: you might want more, and I'm on 64 bit Windows, so I could upgrade past 16 quite easily, but try to get those DIMMS in duel channel, and more DDR on the video card will help out a ton, because with gaming I use DDR on the video card more than the system ram, so it's important for overall performance, and they both help balance the load. Those are great starting numbers though for most stuff, so try that, and that's at the minimum you will need, so you might need more, but that should get you up and running. The guide below indicates to use video ram of 1GB or 2GB, so a Radeon 5770 1GB card would work, and that's an older video card, around same period as your processor, so that's a great starting position, so what I'm saying is try to get a 2GB card or greater around same time period as the card I mentioned above, and they aren't expensive. And to find one, just look up 2GB Radeon cards, and they'll all be around same time period, and get one of those, and if you're on a budget you could get the 1 GB version I mentioned earlier, which will work with your current hardware, but is a bit older, but 1 GB and 2 GB cards came out around similar time periods, so both will certainly work with your hardware. You probably have an older PCI-E slot, so go with one of those. You're on an older lane, probably x1 or x2 or x3, but you need to look it up for your motherboard before buying a video card to get the best possible one. My old machine around same time period had x3, but my new computer I just built last year has x4, so look it up, and it makes a difference in speed, but they're backwards compatible, so an older card will work, but try to match your lane to your new card as close as possible.

*This turned into more work than I thought and I'm a writer and editor and computer professional. I do all these as hobbies too and I'm self-taught. (PLR)

EDIUS 9
(Updated for software version 9.30)

Windows 7 64-bit (Service Pack 1 or later), Windows 8/8.1/10 64-bit
Note: See Memory section below for physical memory limits of each OS.

CPU:
Any Intel i3/i5/i7/i9, core 2 or Xeon CPU as well as any AMD Ryzen CPU. Each CPU with SSSE3 instruction set.
Processors with Intel QuickSync technology enable H.264/H.265 hardware acceleration.

Memory:
2 GB RAM minimum (4 GB or more recommended)
Requirements for RAM and video memory vary depending on the project format. For SD/HD projects: 4 GB or more RAM recommended. For 4K projects: 16 GB or more RAM recommended

Maximum amount of RAM is based on the physical memory limits of each OS.
Windows 10, Enterprise and Pro, 64-bit: 512 GB
Windows 8/8.1, Enterprise and Pro, 64-bit: 512 GB
Windows 8/8.1, 64-bit: 128 GB
Windows 7, Ultimate, Enterprise, and Professional, 64-bit: 192 GB
Windows 7, Home Premium, 64-bit: 16 GB (not recommended for complex 4K projects)
Windows 7, Home Basic, 64-bit: 8 GB (not recommended for projects with more than HD resolution)

Graphics Card:
Supporting higher resolution than 1024x768 32-bit. Direct3D 9.0c or later and PixelShader Model 3.0 or later is required

Requirements for video memory size when using GPUfx will vary depending on the project format. For 10-bit SD projects: 1 GB or more recommended, for HD/4K projects 2 GB or more recommended

Note: Requirements for video memory vary depending on the project format. See Memory section above for details.

Use of several monitors:
EDIUS can be used very comfortably over several PC screens, whereby the scaling (DPI setting) must be the same on all monitors. Ideally, you use several monitors with similar or same size and resolution.

Hard Disk:
6 GB of hard disk space is required for installation
Drive with SATA/7,200 RPM or faster is required for video storage

Available hard drive disc space should be twice the size of the file to be edited

Optical Drive:
Blu-ray Disc writer is required when creating Blu-ray Discs
DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW drive is required when creating DVDs

Sound Card:
Sound card with WDM driver support is required

USB Interface:
Memory-card-readers, camcorders or video-decks require USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 connection

Firewire Interface:
Older camcorders (DV/HDV) often require firewire-connection by an IEEE-1394 port. With windows versions 8.1 and 10 the installation of the legacy firewire driver might be necessary.

Network/Internet connection:
Important for EDIUS Pro 9: Internet connection required for software license activation, thereafter Internet connection is required at least once every 60 days to maintain usage.

Should you not be able to meet the internet-connectivity-requirements you may apply for a special EDIUS Pro 9-version allowing an offline-installation. Please contact us to help you.

Note: EDIUS 9 Workgroup (different to EDIUS Pro 9) offers offline-activation. Internet-access is not required. With EDIUS 9 Workgroup creating an EDIUS ID is possible if you prefer but not mandatory.

Jnanislore
Level 9
Bizarre, isn't it? His system specs are so high, not sure why he's having trouble ��. This went straight to my Facebook, and it's not a double post, but an original way of expressing my discontent and happiness for his hardships and mine and it's been fully documented behavior on a facebook about human behavior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElORM9O-0U

FoxAdriano
Level 11
I thank you a lot for your suggestion.
That said, I went in the meantime to check in Task Manager:

1) when I render the clips on the timeline I see this (1st image)
2) when I export from the timeline in H.265 format, I see this (2nd image)

I understand that I have problems because in a few minutes of rendering I only saw once or twice the CPU go up to 89% and only for 1 second or 2, then quickly back down to 22% In a nutshell the CPU is always between 22% and 35%. for almost all of the time.