cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO and Ryzen 9 3900X (after asus ez tune)

KILLERMANTV
Level 7
Hello,
A couple of days ago i got my pc upgrade, which was ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO and Ryzen 9 3900x, guys at store already updated bios so it supports new ryzen.

I installed os, played it in for a little bit and then i went to bios to set time, ram frequency and set cpu overclock things to auto, and i remember setting some sort of boost to enabled.

When i was scooping around bios, i found this tool called Asus ez tune, i gave it try, then it restarted, i let it be for like 5 mins, then i came back and nothing.

Then i tried using safe boot, retry button and clear cmos button, nothing, all the rgb starts shining but on monitor there's nothing, not even bios screen that says F2 or Delete to enter bios. (I got 2 codes E8 or 8E (can't remember which one) and after a while - 0C on that little screen and vga light shines white.)

I already gave my pc back to store where i got the it so they can reflash bios with older native cpu, because they said that bios somehow reseted itself before the support update for ryzen 9.

But my question is, that latest bios update on asus support site that is 6 days old now, does it support the new ryzen 9 ?
And also does this ever happened to someone when using asus ez tune, and possible fix ?

Thanks for help.
Lukas
5 REPLIES 5

OnepunchGus
Level 7
This is definitely an issue. I have the same board as you and I upgraded from a 2700x to a 3700x, and using BIOS 2501. When I tried overclocking my ram using Asus AI Overclock Tuner, and selecting the "D.O.C.P Standard" setting my computer would hang on post after saving the changes with a "C5" error code. That error code is not even documented by Asus. I did not find a fix yet, and had to clear my CMOS and leave the ram to default settings.

Also watch out for the voltage on your CPU, mine defaulted to 1.49v when I put in my 3700x and I immediately put it down to 1.36v. I believe these issues are to do with the motherboard failing to recognize proper power drawing for the Ryzen 3000 series.

OnepunchGus wrote:
This is definitely an issue. I have the same board as you and I upgraded from a 2700x to a 3700x, and using BIOS 2501. When I tried overclocking my ram using Asus AI Overclock Tuner, and selecting the "D.O.C.P Standard" setting my computer would hang on post after saving the changes with a "C5" error code. That error code is not even documented by Asus. I did not find a fix yet, and had to clear my CMOS and leave the ram to default settings.

Also watch out for the voltage on your CPU, mine defaulted to 1.49v when I put in my 3700x and I immediately put it down to 1.36v. I believe these issues are to do with the motherboard failing to recognize proper power drawing for the Ryzen 3000 series.

Today i got call from guys from repair service and even they weren't able to revive the motherboard even with the older ryzen, so they are going to send it back to asus and give me a new one.

OnepunchGus
Level 7
That's a total bummer. I can't say what it is for certain, but I am leaning torwards these motherboards' new BIOS settings not being prepared power wise for the 3000 series. If you're getting a new x470 I would recommend not over clocking anything just yet. Wait for a few more BIOS revisions. I should have just stuck with my 2700x but sold it to a friend....womp womp.

OnepunchGus wrote:
That's a total bummer. I can't say what it is for certain, but I am leaning torwards these motherboards' new BIOS settings not being prepared power wise for the 3000 series. If you're getting a new x470 I would recommend not over clocking anything just yet. Wait for a few more BIOS revisions. I should have just stuck with my 2700x but sold it to a friend....womp womp.

Thanks man for help, I'll keep that in mind 😉

I've got the same motherboard as you and same processor using the 2406 bios but I manually overclock only as I have little confidence in the auto overclock features in the BIOS.

I had issues with C5 post code which was some what "fixed" by setting the DRAM boot voltage - currently I am overclocking my 3200MHz ram to 3600MHz using 1.4 volts for the DRAM voltage and DRAM boot voltage. I can overclock my CPU fine for an all core overclock to 4350MHz using 1.325 Vcore but I've left it as stock now.

Occasional I still get a C5 post code after a cold boot so it's not completely fixed but a CMOS clear will bring things back to life and loading my profiles in stages will bring things back to the state they were quickly by doing a save and reset after loading each profile.

Profile 1 - Has the DRAM voltages set (for boot voltage and standard dram voltage) if you aren't overclocking your ram set these to what they should be, by default they are set to 1.2 volts which is too low for 3200MHz.
Profile 2 - Has the DRAM clock set and the timings - everything done manually no D.O.C.P.
Profile 3 - Has the CPU Clock and CPU voltage set if required (currently I am running at stock)

I'm not updating my BIOS until the linux fix is available but Bios 2406 should be fine to keep things running - some picks of CPU-Z below just show it is possible to overclock manually on this BIOS and have a stable system and I've had zero issues at these settings with this bios.