cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible to update bios but keep the same overclocks settings as current bios ?

the_wee_man
Level 8
as the question in the title says, is it possible or does it have to be done by either re-doing the settings manually reading from either notes or photos ?

its an Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Z170 mini-ITX board
8 REPLIES 8

Chino
Level 15
No. Profiles saved on a specific BIOS will only work on that revision. If you update your BIOS, you will need to manually input your overclock settings.

As a sidenote, a lot changes between BIOS revisions. Most probably settings that were stable with your previous might not work as well on the newer revision.

Chino wrote:
No. Profiles saved on a specific BIOS will only work on that revision. If you update your BIOS, you will need to manually input your overclock settings.

As a sidenote, a lot changes between BIOS revisions. Most probably settings that were stable with your previous might not work as well on the newer revision.

ok cool thanks, at least I know now, need to start taking photos, lol, does bios have opition to do screenshots maybe ?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Yes. Use an USB pendrive and the F12 key to take screenshots inside the BIOS.

so the bios actually has an option for that yeah ? could you show me a screen shot so that i can save for later please thanks ?

Chino wrote:
Yes.

All you need to do is press the F12 key on your keyboard.

thanks man, be ok if i could still get in bios though, lol, see here >> https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?81503-oh-man-now-I-cant-get-into-bios-argggggggg-screammmm...

P.S, I didnt save all my great overclocking settings to a profile either so I hope clearing the bios isnt the only option 😞

Qwinn
Level 11
The way I do it, rather than taking a million screenshots of every section, is to do this:

1) Save your preferred OC settings to a profile in the Tools section.
2) Shutdown and clear CMOS.
3) Go back into the Bios. Load the profile. Then go to the Save and Exit option. It will come up with a confirmation screen that lists every difference between the default BIOS settings and the profile you just loaded. Take a screenshot (or just quickly write it down). Note that you may need to scroll down to see them all.

Note that this is on the Rampage V Extreme, but I assume other motherboards would behave similarly. On the RVE, at least, you can then set up each of those settings in the Favorite tab so that you can see them all listed consecutively and tweak them without having to burrow through dozens of menus. The Favorite setup seems to survive clearing CMOS too, just like profiles do, at least it did for me.

Oh, another tip: If you set your system up as UEFI (and if you didn't, you almost certainly should unless your system is ancient), when you clear CMOS, it will set CSM back to enabled as a default. While it is set up as CSM Enabled, you may not be able to load a profile in the bios, at least if you are booting off a PCIe drive like I am. Attempting to do so will just freeze the BIOS. So you may well need to add a step between 2) and 3) above which is "2.5) Set CSM to disabled, save and exit, and reboot back into the BIOS".

Qwinn wrote:
The way I do it, rather than taking a million screenshots of every section, is to do this:

That's a great suggestion! I can't believe I didn't think of that! I feel like an idiot... (Wouldn't be the first time).