cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peripherals can be connected to USB ports on the back of a computer vs. powered hub

bamajon1974
Level 7
I would like to know what peripherals can be connected to USB ports on the back of a computer vs. a powered USB hub.

Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix 390-E . Has two USB 2.0, two USB 3.1 Gen1, three USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type A and one USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type C.

I have a POWERED USB 3.1 Gen 1 Hub (meaning it plugs into a USB port on the computer and also has a power cord to plug into an outlet).

Peripherals: Quantity 2 Acer Predator XB271HU monitors each with one USB 3.1 Gen 1 (blue) upstream connector (the ones with the squareish connector at the end)
Logitech Brio 4K webcam (USB 3.1 Gen 1 connection)
Razer Black Widow Elite Keyboard (2 USB 2.0 connectors)
Razer Naga Trinity Mouse (1 USB 2.0 connector)
Razer Seiren Elite Microphone (USB 2.0 connector)
Epson V600 Perfection Photo Scanner (USB 2.0 connector)
Dell C2660dn color laser printer (USB 2.0 connector)
USB 2.0 connector to charge headphones
USB 2.0 connector to charge bluetooth/wireless gamepad

Razer said that the Keyboard and Mouse must plug into the back of the computer. The microphone can be plugged into a hub. Logitech said the webcam must be plugged into the back of the computer.

So I have a lot of peripherals. Questions are below:

1. Is it ok to plug USB 3.1 Gen 1 blue plugs into the red Gen 2 plugs? I know I will only get Gen 1 transfer speeds but are there other issues?

2. I understand that mass storage devices like external hard drives, thumbdrives, SD card devices, etc. should be plugged into the back of the computer, correct?

3. I also understand the USB upstream connectors in the monitors are really hubs. Should these be connected to the back of the computer or can they connect to a powered hub?

4. The printer can be connected to a network via ethernet cable so I can lose that USB cable. Can the scanner plug into the hub or does it need to go to the back of the computer?

5. If you have USB cables just for charging (gamepad and headphones) and not data transfer, is it ok to plug those into the hub?

Thanks!
0 REPLIES 0