cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC boots for 2 seconds, shuts down, and repeats (MOBO Suspect)

EX1LED
Level 7
SPECS😘

MOBO: Rampage V Extreme LGA 2011-v3
CPU: Intel i7-5930K
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2*
PSU: *Corsair HX1000i
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB DDR4 (4x4)
Video Cards: 2 x EVGA GTX 980
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD
2 x Seagate HDD 1 TB

ISSUE: **

My PC will attempt to start up. *It will turn on for approximately 2 seconds and then it will shut down. *The PC will attempt to restart again. *This process turns into a loop unless I turn off power to the PSU and unplug the power cord. *All lights on the Case, MOBO, RAM, CPU Cooler, and video cards turn on. *All Case fans, CPU cooler fans, and video card fans spin and turn on. *I suspect there is an error with my Motherboard (see spec's above) due to the reasons listed below.

TTroubleshooting Attempts:*

*- Unplugged power cord for 10 seconds and even days and attempted.
- Cleared CMOS and removed Lithium Battery for approx. 5 minutes.
- Removed CPU cooler (H100i), cleaned off thermal paste on both cooler and CPU, reapplied thermal paste, and attempted a power on.
- Replaced CPU cooler (H100i to H100i v2) in order to see if the cooler was bad.
- Unplugged every component from PSU to MOBO and reconnected to ensure all plugs were seated properly.
- Replaced PSU (HX 1000i with another HX 1000i) to ensure that the PSU was not the fault.
- Unplugged all unnecessary components from MOBO/PSU to ensure there was not an issue with other components.
- Removed 2nd Video card and attempted a power-on with just one card and only essential components. (No USB or connections to the I/O panel).
- Completely gutted the rig and re-built PC to ensure no grounding issues are present. *All groundings for the case and CPU were reinstalled.
- Removed all RAM and individually tested each card in every slot possible to ensure the RAM was not at fault.
- Attempted to hit MEMOK to see if the issue would persist and let it try to reconfigure RAM settings for approx. 5-10 minutes.
- Already have the latest BIOS updates because this PC was running fine for approx. 2 years.

NOTES:*

* This issue was present 2 years ago when I first built my rig. *I could not figure out the answer, so I RMA'ed the MOBO, CPU, and RAM back to Newegg, which ended up fixing my issue and had the PC running for approx. 2 years.

* This issue was present approx. 2 weeks before there was no complete fix for the current issue. *To fix it prior to it never posting again, I assumed it was a cooling issue and took of CPU cooler, cleaned off thermal paste on the CPU cooler and CPU, reapplied thermal paste and CPU cooler, and it would work again for approx. 1-3 days. *I would have to repeat this issue one more time, which allowed me to run the machine, but now at the current state it will not POST no matter what after attempting the troubleshooting fixes stated above.

* Posting to the experts on this forum and my last attempt of figuring this issue out, before I have to contact ASUS for a RMA. *Any tips or guidance is greatly appreciated. *I hope I answered all questions with this detailed post. *If I did not, please ask questions in order to not only help me, but to help others with this same issue.

Thanks,

-Exiled/ShellShock*
12 REPLIES 12

KenX
Level 7
Have you checked the cpu socket pins on the motherboard?

KenX wrote:
Have you checked the cpu socket pins on the motherboard?

Yes I did. No bent pins. *Sorry for forgetting to add this, forgot to mention it in the long troubleshooting list.

Chino
Level 15
In addition to what KenX suggested, test your system outside your case. Use the cardboard box that the motherboard came in for testing.

Chino wrote:
In addition to what KenX suggested, test your system outside your case. Use the cardboard box that the motherboard came in for testing.

Actually doing this now downstairs, just took a break. Any other suggestions?

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Have you populated the 8 pin and 4 pin power headers on the motherboard?

Absolutely. *About to start up the parts on cardboard boxes. Wish me luck.

PS. check again, no bent pins on CPU socket.*

EX1LED wrote:
Absolutely. *About to start up the parts on cardboard boxes. Wish me luck.

PS. check again, no bent pins on CPU socket.*

Cool. Keep us updated. 🙂

Chino wrote:
Cool. Keep us updated. 🙂

Ok. Just completed the cardboard test. *PSU, MOBO, and CPU Cooler were all on their own pieces of cardboard. *No bent pints on CPU socket. No burn marks or bulging caps on MOBO, also no bent pins.

Still showing the same symptoms. *All MOBO and RAM lights turn on, CPU cooler lights and fan turn on. *Upon starting up for about 1-2 seconds, it is still shutting down and attempting to restart.

I honestly have no clue what else I can try. *I stated everything that I have tried in the OP. *I was hoping this would work so I would know it is a grounding issue.

Any other ideas for me before I RMA the board ?*