cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network monitoring

Limbless_One1
Level 10
G'Day Gent's

Just want to ask a about a network monitoring tool that will be able to monitor the bandwith usage of all users on a wifi network with the possabilities of regulating there up/down speeds and the amount of data that can be set for each user ?
what's the best one ???
free or paid ..... !!
4 REPLIES 4

pcunite
Level 8
If you want to control, then you need all their network packets to flow through the software. Sounds like a good fit for a Linux router running any of the popular offerings. I have not done this myself so I don't have an exact suggestion.
i5-3570k | V Gene | HD 4000 | Crucial M4 256GB | Fractal Design Mini | NEC 2490WUXi2

xeromist
+1 You won't be able to install anything on your PC to do this (unless your PC acts as the router for the entire network)

If you have a router that supports DD-WRT then you can do all sorts of interesting things without adding hardware. Otherwise you can take virtually any machine with two network connections and install Smoothwall. The nice thing about a full blown setup with smoothwall or similar (pfsense, etc) is that it's Linux at the core so if it doesn't do everything you need you can usually add it manually.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
+1 You won't be able to install anything on your PC to do this (unless your PC acts as the router for the entire network)

If you have a router that supports DD-WRT then you can do all sorts of interesting things without adding hardware. Otherwise you can take virtually any machine with two network connections and install Smoothwall. The nice thing about a full blown setup with smoothwall or similar (pfsense, etc) is that it's Linux at the core so if it doesn't do everything you need you can usually add it manually.

Will have a look at this...cheers 🙂

B0UJI
Level 7
Untangle: http://www.untangle.com/

It's a firewall/router software for linux. Run that between your internet and wireless and that can track who's using what and limit by IP/MAC address (free) or even by AD account (paid addon).