cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for first gaming laptop

Odysseus17
Level 7
Hi everyone! I'm Odysseus17 and I'm a new member to this community. I'm looking to purchase my first real gaming laptop after being stuck with a boot-camped MacBook air for waaay too long. I have a decent amount of knowledge about computers but am by no means an expert. My friend pointed me this way as a suggestion and I'm looking to see if anyone could help me find what laptop would work best for me. I'm looking for a gaming laptop that would work well for school too as I leave for my first year of college pretty soon. As far as price range goes, I'm willing to spend a pretty penny but as always, on a college budget I'd like to save as much as possible. I want something that could run games like ARK and Witcher 3 on relatively high settings comfortably too. Going into college all my classes this semester are on the same days (MWF) pretty much all one after another (so yes I realize I'll probably want to shoot myself eventually with that schedule) but that means I'll probably need something with a reliable battery life that can last me from about 830 in the morning to maybe 3 in the afternoon at the least. Thank you for your help!
2 REPLIES 2

Xeexuku
Level 7
Hello there. The Witcher 3 on high settings I would recommend at least a GTX 1050 TI (should be able to run it on ultra no hairworks 30+ avg FPS). What's your budget?

SlackROG
Level 10
If you're in the USA, go with a company like xoticpc.com, that way you can have the install custom, meaning OS and drivers only, no bloatware!

If you have the budget, you're better off with a GTX1060 for a bit more future and years of gaming to come.

Do you want 15" or 17" screen?

ASUS GL502VM-DS74 - GTX 1060, 16GB Ram i7-7700HQ, 15" IPS panel with G-Sync, also VR Ready;

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GL502VM/
http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-gl502vm-ds74.html

You could save like $300, but that will mean changes, you may or may not like.