cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

music production (rampage v extreme)

romax
Level 7
hi there rog members..

so i have build a desktop with the asus rampage v extreme for music production (90% processing vs 10% imaging lets say 😉
i know its the opposite world of gaming but i was wondering if there are any recommended settings you know of, or are the 'out of the box' settings powerful enough?

so far no problems but was just wondering what this beast can do..
thanks in advance and a good gaming sunday to ya..

perhaps some info needed:
windows 10 64 bit
Intel Haswell-E 6-Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 15M/LGA2011-v3
Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 X99 (DDR4) (LGA 2011-v3)
HyperX Savage 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 2400 HX424C14SBK2/32
1TB SATA III SSD
7 REPLIES 7

srmojuze
Level 10
Very nice. Are you using Ableton perhaps? Time to load up tons of plugins and drive your CPU usage as high as possible! 🙂

Then, OC' your CPU (this is quite basic at the start but a nice guide overall) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4ixZE7EWo

Add more audio plugins (5 per channel in Ableton, 16 channels total, add another 10+ plugins to master) 🙂

On a more serious note do you use EWQL Instruments? Those are very demanding software instruments but with your system you can max out the settings on that.

Enjoy!

thanks for the link and reply!

yeah doing so on most projects, im using reaper with mostly all fabfilter plugins since ever and it just works best for me.
having projects with up to 85 tracks, so far no problems.

my guess is that the basic settings on the rampage should be fine..
all tips are most welcome for specialized settings for music production.

game on 😉

today i added memory 32gb to 64gb but cant seem to find much difference.
i timed my restart, opened heavy music projects (90 tracks with full on vst load on all tracks) and it doesn't seem to be any faster.

restart was 1:06 became 1:05
music software start was 37sec became 35sec.

should i reset the motherboard or anything?

the new 64gb does show up in system info and all is working fine, was just expecting much more from 64gb i guess.

kkn
Level 14
memory have nothing whit how fast your pc boots up, that is the storrage device's jobb.
and it will be around 10+'ish sec or so.
memory is more to how mutch you can work whit, and the speed of the memory helps you out on heavy rendering programs, like lets say rendering a movie, working whit autocad, working whit photoshop+++
or if you run virtual machines++++

if you run IE open a few windows and open heavy pages, or some youtube videos, if you push CTRL+ALT+DEL and go in and see how mutch ram you use you will see what i mean by memory usage.

the boot time between a sata ssd and a m.2 ssd is not mutch diffrence, maby a sec or so?
but if you test a hard drive to a ssd you WILL see a huge diffrence on boot up time.

the more programs you have in the "startup" the slower it gets to start up windows from when you push the start button until you can do enny thing inside window.

kkn wrote:
memory have nothing whit how fast your pc boots up, that is the storrage device's jobb.
and it will be around 10+'ish sec or so.
memory is more to how mutch you can work whit, and the speed of the memory helps you out on heavy rendering programs, like lets say rendering a movie, working whit autocad, working whit photoshop+++
or if you run virtual machines++++

if you run IE open a few windows and open heavy pages, or some youtube videos, if you push CTRL+ALT+DEL and go in and see how mutch ram you use you will see what i mean by memory usage.

the boot time between a sata ssd and a m.2 ssd is not mutch diffrence, maby a sec or so?
but if you test a hard drive to a ssd you WILL see a huge diffrence on boot up time.

the more programs you have in the "startup" the slower it gets to start up windows from when you push the start button until you can do enny thing inside window.

makes sense man thanks!
my music software is indeed running smoother without tiny hiccups.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
romax wrote:
i have build a desktop with the asus rampage v extreme for music production

I think you should probably have spent the money on a guitar or violin...

You might get a beat out of the RVE if you hit it but not much more.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
I think you should probably have spent the money on a guitar or violin...

You might get a beat out of the RVE if you hit it but not much more.

guitars & violins for days here but enjoy listening to your cornyness on your Xonar Essence STX..
tool!