cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-screen display settings, possible?

Live_Ammo
Level 10
I have spent about a week or 2 getting used to my first Multi-display setup. It works wonders for work purposes, so already very pleased with the huge 2 screen real estate.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it possible to set 2 desktops, whereby Windows 10 pro identifies from which screen an app is selected and outputs on that display only. I understand Windows is limited to extending displays or duplicating only, but is there a workaround?

2. For gaming, I only intend to use a single monitor (primary). Is it possible to use the second screen for other basic tasks whilst the game is set on full-screen on the first one. I have tested this: the second screen does display content but when clicking on it or opening apps, it disrupts the game. Workaround?

I have a feeling the answer is in Windows 10 but I can't make sense of it, I could be wrong. Basically Win 10 has the 'Task View' feature, when selected, it shows all open windows on a single page. At the bottom right there is an option 'Add Desktop'. Tried playing around with this feature but can't make head and tails of it.
9 REPLIES 9

haihane
Level 13
Live_Ammo wrote:
I have spent about a week or 2 getting used to my first Multi-display setup. It works wonders for work purposes, so already very pleased with the huge 2 screen real estate.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it possible to set 2 desktops, whereby Windows 10 pro identifies from which screen an app is selected and outputs on that display only. I understand Windows is limited to extending displays or duplicating only, but is there a workaround?

2. For gaming, I only intend to use a single monitor (primary). Is it possible to use the second screen for other basic tasks whilst the game is set on full-screen on the first one. I have tested this: the second screen does display content but when clicking on it or opening apps, it disrupts the game. Workaround?

I have a feeling the answer is in Windows 10 but I can't make sense of it, I could be wrong. Basically Win 10 has the 'Task View' feature, when selected, it shows all open windows on a single page. At the bottom right there is an option 'Add Desktop'. Tried playing around with this feature but can't make head and tails of it.

i don't understand question 1.

2. run all games that you play on Windowed-Fullscreen, and you should be able to alt+tab smoothly into the other screen.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

haihane
Level 13
Re: the new desktop picture.

i'll tell you a little backstory:
that button was initially first introduced with Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 8.04. it was also the first ubuntu OS i spent time pulling my hair out, figuring how to make it work.

what it does ->New Desktop button <-
think of it as when you press the button, you get a wholly new workspace.

For example: i'm right now doing my work, with tabs open, projects loaded. then my Sibling wanted to use my computer. assuming i trust him, enough but i don't want him or her messing with my loaded projects, bookmarks, i could very well just open a new desktop (windows button + Tab + hitting that new desktop button), and voila! a new desktop.

all my clutters are on desktop 1. i can leave desktop 2 to my sibling to do his stuff.

alternate example:
i load up all my work projects on Desktop 1 (all mundane and boring stuff). and i have this bad habit, when i game, i don't want to see my unfinished work (because it probably annoys the hell out of me, and a constant reminder that i was slacking). so i have an idea. i separate my work and game on two different desktops.

Desktop 1, all work.
Desktop 2, game, goof around, all play.
Desktop 3, Pron. (lololol. some people do dis. don't judge).

Boss comes, Lightspeed win tab tab. act innocent.

haihane wrote:
Re: the new desktop picture.

i'll tell you a little backstory:
that button was initially first introduced with Compiz Fusion on Ubuntu 8.04. it was also the first ubuntu OS i spent time pulling my hair out, figuring how to make it work.

what it does ->New Desktop button <-
think of it as when you press the button, you get a wholly new workspace.

For example: i'm right now doing my work, with tabs open, projects loaded. then my Sibling wanted to use my computer. assuming i trust him, enough but i don't want him or her messing with my loaded projects, bookmarks, i could very well just open a new desktop (windows button + Tab + hitting that new desktop button), and voila! a new desktop.

all my clutters are on desktop 1. i can leave desktop 2 to my sibling to do his stuff.

alternate example:
i load up all my work projects on Desktop 1 (all mundane and boring stuff). and i have this bad habit, when i game, i don't want to see my unfinished work (because it probably annoys the hell out of me, and a constant reminder that i was slacking). so i have an idea. i separate my work and game on two different desktops.

Desktop 1, all work.
Desktop 2, game, goof around, all play.
Desktop 3, Pron. (lololol. some people do dis. don't judge).

Boss comes, Lightspeed win tab tab. act innocent.

So basically its a James Bond special effects feature to hide PRON lol

Nah, I just got used to it. Great feature - though not sure if I will have any use for it at moment. I guess if I allowed others to touch my machine, it would be very handy.

Hey bro - honestly that ALT-TAB and WIN-TAB feature is brilliant. Very convenient.
I want to know all the shortcuts lol whether in-game or for work purposes. Is there a link for some of the most helpful ones like the 2 you mentioned?

Live_Ammo wrote:

Hey bro - honestly that ALT-TAB and WIN-TAB feature is brilliant. Very convenient.
I want to know all the shortcuts lol whether in-game or for work purposes. Is there a link for some of the most helpful ones like the 2 you mentioned?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

here you go.
(to be honest, i don't remember all of them. only bothered to remember those i use most)

haihane wrote:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12445/windows-keyboard-shortcuts

here you go.
(to be honest, i don't remember all of them. only bothered to remember those i use most)

Wow, thats a big tasty sunday roast list. I get what you mean - i'll be going through the list for a select few too. Life is just a long and hard journey and I love shortcuts hehe

Guyvergamingtv
Level 7
question 2 is answered above, full screen window mode

question 1 not 100% sure what you mean. if you mean when you open an app it will display on a certain screen only then not really, most apps will only open on your primary display, then its just a case of moving them.

if you clarify what you mean i could help more as i have a 4 screen set up one of with is a 40" tv.

Guyvergamingtv wrote:

if you mean when you open an app it will display on a certain screen only then not really, most apps will only open on your primary display, then its just a case of moving them. .

Yep you got it! Oh well, i guess its not too bad. I am getting used to the dual-monitor set up and it's getting easier to manage both displays as time passes. Much better than my previous single low res small stingy screen.

You have 4 displays? Mad house multi-tasking work desk or a bad ass gaming setup? i can already see room for one more with my dual setup.

For the eyes, is it safe to have displays running on different RES? My current setup: primary 27" 1440p and the secondary is 23.5" 1080p. Dual monitors are used only for work and casual purposes, whereas for gaming I only plan on using the 1440p. Both are running on different refresh rates too....im assuming the 1080p is 60hz by default (not sure) and my 1440p is stocked at 144hz.

I do get a little strain on the eyes every now and then...but I think it's more related to getting used to higher refresh rates and the 1440p res on the primary display as I am moving up from a 17" 1080p laptop screen.

Live_Ammo wrote:
For the eyes, is it safe to have displays running on different RES?

Yeah, I personally have two mismatched monitors but I made sure they had the same DPI so things are the same size. Just a personal preference thing. As long as you aren't running things at fuzzy non-native resolutions or really tiny resolutions that strain your eyes, you should be fine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Live_Ammo
Level 10
Thanks bud! At first i was experiencing a little strain but I think thats me getting used to my first time new 2K display. A couple of weeks on, no problems whatsoever. Both the 2k and 1080p sitting together are a match made in heaven