cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus vi hero 4770k intel

offthewall
Level 7
My new system will run all stress tests without a hiccup, top notch results. The issues arise when I start gaming, after 20 mins or so the system will lock up. The sound in the game starts to crackle and then goes into full reverb, then it is reboot time. As Raja suggest I have started the system out out at 4.3 and varied the voltage between 1.18 and 1.23. All other settings are stock, out of the box. Temps are not an issue, max is 70 or so. Running a pair of 7970's, have played with crossfire to no avail. Run a corsair headset and keyboard, have deleted all the sound drivers for my headset, running on windows now, any thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi offthewall 🙂

Does this happen if you reset the BIOS to F5 defaults...i.e. remove the OC.

What RAM kit (kits) and have you set them to XMP profile?

Have you tried OCing leaving the voltage on auto? and seeing what that gives you for 4.3.

Zeruel
Level 7
Use RoG realbench and see if your system can get through that.

Start you RAM at stock speed of 1600MHz, then use your XMP profile to make it go to its natural speed if it is naturally above 1600 Mhz
Cruel Angel
------------------------------

CPU: i7 4770k 4.7Ghz 1.425v
MB: Maximus VI Formula
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro (2400Mhz OC) 16GB
GPU: Reference GTX 560Ti ( GTX 880 Coming Soon!)
PSU: Corsair AX 1200i
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
Case: Corsair Obsidian 900D
Mouse: MLG Sensei
KeyBoard: Corsair K70 RED
Monitor: BENQ XL2420T

Custom Water Cooling

Sandcracka
Level 10
Your CPU requires more voltage when gaming with crossfire video cards. I ran into the same problem when running crossfire 7870's with my maximus vi hero and 4670k. It ran all stress tests no problem, but then I got blue screens after about 10-20 min of gaming. Try to increase your voltage by 0.01V at a time and see if it still crashes in game. I don't even bother to run stress tests any more, they're not very accurate when compared to gaming. I just play the games, and if it crashes I increase the voltages.

offthewall
Level 7
Thnx for the replies. Currently running Kingston ran 2 x 8 x 1600 sticks, have tried leaving in auto or setting manually. Maybe the ram speed is too slow, not sure about that. Have tried xmp as well.
Many times I have reset to optimized, it will not run on those settings either.
I have run Realbench, 5 times in a row, all good results, plus all the other test programs out there, all passed with flying colours. Then when I walk away and leave it running, it crashes and the bios screen will be up when I come back. When it runs, it runs skookum.
I have run on only one video card, no change there, bios is updated as well, before and after had all the same results. Unfortunately I will be offline for a week, that work thing, 😞 when I get back I will try another fresh windows 7 install and run up again, will progress with voltage increase, temps have not been an issue.
It has been very frustrating and time consuming, not even worried about the overclock, just want a stable system. Thnx.

Here is the sequel, I set up a fresh install with windows 7. The basic intel driver only was installed to get everything up and running. I did not install any of the other Asus utilities except for cpuz and boot setting. Running the 0903 bios, I downloaded the 1002 for the initial install, not sure if that was an issue either. The system runs like a clock, have it oc at 4.2 now in auto, except for voltage, voltage is 1.20, no crashes or issues while gaming. The only hardware difference was the ssd used, went to an OCZ versus the Crucial which I used on the first install, do not know if that made a difference. One other note is that windows versus intel is running the sleep/rest mode, everything shuts down and comes to life like a clock, unlike before. I think the software may have been fighting and freezing the system. Awesome system. 🙂