cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2 NVMe struggles. m.2 no worky

aeffertz
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I've recently purchased a new SSD to take advantage of the m.2 slot on my motherboard. I have an ASUS Z170i PRO GAMING motherboard. I'm currently running an SSD and HDD over sata and a GPU in the pci-e slot.

I picked up a Western Digital Black NVMe drive (link) but I'm out of ideas to get it to work. Yes, it is fully seated and screwed into place. After hours and hours of research I've yet to make any progress... It seems like I'm missing some settings in the bios compared to other people and I've just recently installed the newest version available. Does anyone have any ideas or did I just waste $120?

Currently at wits end because it seems like this shouldn't be that difficult of a process but I'm stumped. Here's some screen shot of the bios.

https://imgur.com/a/n8fclPP
17 REPLIES 17

JustinThyme
Level 13
There are some that managed to mod their BIOS and got some NVMe drives to work, however, none of them got them to work properly reporting speeds well under the 2200MB/S of the AHCI M2. They got to like 800MB/s which is barely better than a 2.5 inch sata drive. I had the same with a G751 Laptop. M2 outdated in less than 6 months. That first wave of M2 PCie drives was short lived when the NVMe was released. Your manual doesn't differentiate because at time of release NVMe protocol didnt exist. Its reference to PCIe is the AHCI M2. All products released after, Z270 and up, specifically state NVMe.

I hate being the bearer of bad news but at least I saved your hair!

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
There are some that managed to mod their BIOS and got some NVMe drives to work, however, none of them got them to work properly reporting speeds well under the 2200MB/S of the AHCI M2. They got to like 800MB/s which is barely better than a 2.5 inch sata drive. I had the same with a G751 Laptop. M2 outdated in less than 6 months. That first wave of M2 PCie drives was short lived when the NVMe was released. Your manual doesn't differentiate because at time of release NVMe protocol didnt exist. Its reference to PCIe is the AHCI M2. All products released after, Z270 and up, specifically state NVMe.

I hate being the bearer of bad news but at least I saved your hair!

No worries! I’ll just return this drive and get a SATA m.2. Thanks again!

aeffertz wrote:
No worries! I’ll just return this drive and get a SATA m.2. Thanks again!

....or keep the M.2 NVMe and get a new Board 😉

Yeah... I had a pretty hot z97 (Maximus VII Hero) that had an M.2 port and I never used it because at the time, it really want no worth the money they wanted for M.2 drives given that back then the protocol was really not much (if any) faster that a good SSD on SATA.

With NVMe starting in about mid to late 2016 and even early 2017... the speed increase was noticeable... and now NVMe drives are much more reasonable... good luck.

Asus boards are pretty good with QVL list. I tend to look at them and if the board I have does not have a product I want to pair on it on the list... I research why.

JustinThyme
Level 13
You would be better off hunting down an SM951 AHCI. The SATA M2 offers no performance increase over the 2.5 inch variety.*

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

squawker
Level 11
Not true, a bench from the Samsung 960 PRO 1TB:

It's a M.2 NVMe socket in a Z170 MOBO

squawker
Level 11
Well, I was an early NVMe drive adopter and Intel DC P3700 SSD was one of the first NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 drives launched.

It was launched around June 2014 (yes 2014!) and in September same year I received one that was imported from an USA dealer.

The DC P3700 is an HHHL device, and I installed it in my Rampage V Extreme mobo (launched around September/2014) and to my very surprise, it was detected in the bios like it was an “generic” AIC card, with an PCIe 3.0 X4 connection!

Seeing that I tried to install the Windows 7 OS, and to my even bigger surprise, it was installed without any glitch, and I ended with a bootable NVMe drive in my X99 Rampage:

The Rampage had an M.2 socket, but at that time M.2 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 drives were not easily found.
So, the X99 chipset accepts a bootable NVMe drive and also most Z170 (one year more recent than X99) boards accept that kind of drives, independent of its launch date, except perhaps the cheaper boards.

The Z170 chipset was released around August 2015 and my build with ASRock Extreme7 with Samsung 950/960 PRO drives was finished in October, so the Extreme 7 was launched more or less simultaneous with all other Z170 boards.

And the “Ultra M.2” socket was an ASRock merchandizing way of saying that the M.2 socket was a PCIe 3.0 x4 connection, like all other M.2 connection in Z170 boards, different from, for example, Z97 M.2 that was PCIe 2.0.

I think that all M.2 sockets from Z170 boards up now, in all ASRock motherboards are called “Ultra M.2”, and it’s nothing “special”.

I tested Samsung 950/960 drives in several conditions of operation and cooling with infrared camera, and the photo shows one situation.

Going to the OP problem, the board Manual and Specs say specifically that it supports M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 drives, so it’s possible the problem is a configuration one.

Hi all,

I found this topic after stumbled upon same problem. Bought Kingston A2000 1TB and it was not visible in BIOS or OS.

Honestly, I don't work why drive has started working - disabled SATA1 (nonetheless this is NVMe SSD, not SATA) and changed AHCI to Intel's RAID - I was able to see drive on dashboard (in "Boot priority" section), but nowhere else. Reverted RAID to AHCI and drive is still visible and works - dunno why, but it may help.

One other thing, the setting about detection SATA/NVMe drive I set to "Auto", tried to set manually but didn't helped before I switched between AHCI<>RAID. Also, I has newest BIOS, try upgrading and do same thing as I did - hope it'll help 🙂