cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard and mouse randomly stop working...

Ashhh
Level 7
so it started yesterday i was playing a game and my keyboard and mouse wouldnt respond even though the lights was on, so i swapped out the mouse and it still wouldnt work. so i had to turn it off and back on then it was fine, but today the smae thing has happened again.
anyone know why this is happening or what i can do to stop this?
2 REPLIES 2

quark54
Level 8
Sometimes this occurs with a wireless internet connection. Under heavy internet load, the USB bus can get saturated.

I would try a wired connection. If that works you know what the issue is.

Reinstalling chipset drivers, USB drivers might help.

Surprisingly, even if it's just the keyboard itself that's causing the issue, it can also freeze the mouse. So do try another keyboard if you haven't already.

Quite a few things you can try, diferent USB ports might help, or even power management settings.

cekim
Level 11
The possibilities are endless at this point, particularly without any info about your system. I often use the inability to toggle num-lock light (if I have one) to know that an overclock config has frozen the system. It could be anything from Windows, USB drivers, overclock/electrical/unseated CPU, ram, card or one of your USB peripherals is hosed.

A little more info about your MB/OS/Game/Any OC might help narrow to things like Skylake ACPI sound card issues for instance.

In the mean-time, check your hardware - re-seat things, check for signs of physical/electrical damage, check BIOS config if you have changed it, update drivers, check the windows event log, update windows itself, then start swapping out parts, old and cheap first...