cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Increasing BCLK stabilized my system

zoran
Level 9
I have a question. My system had become completely unstable and any attempt at even a minor OC got instant BSOD and after countless attempts I gave up and am ready to start a new build
However today as a last resort I messed with BCLK and upped it to 100.5 and using my previously stable OC setting for 4.2ghz I got a stable 1 hour bench with OCCT and several passes of realbench

Question is why? how has increasing BCLK stabilized my OC and is it an indication that my RAM is failing? (just a guess)57518
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi Zoran !

I'm not sure how increasing the BCLK would stabilize your overclock but if it did and you're stable go with it. 🙂

What are you upgrading to? z170 can overclock the BCLK pretty far, I can get the maximus viii formula and 6700k to 300 BCLK.

srmojuze
Level 10
BCLK increase is putting more "juice" into the whole system? 🙂 But yeah maybe push up the BCLK further, drop the multiplier and loosen RAM timings?

srmojuze wrote:
BCLK increase is putting more "juice" into the whole system? 🙂 But yeah maybe push up the BCLK further, drop the multiplier and loosen RAM timings?

Thats what I thought to. I am now at 4.6 ghz and 2 hours of Real bench no problem. But if I drop BCLK back to 100 then all hell brakes loose. I think I will try your suggestion here and experiment more.

Nate I will be upgrading to maximus viii formula and 6700k as well

srmojuze wrote:

Well this is exciting . Have tried your method, dropped back multiplier from 46 to 44 and upped BCLK to 105 and Vcore is 1.45 and core speed is 46mhz

I havnt touched RAM timings mainly cause Im a newb at this and wouldn't know how. In any case 45 mins of Prime and several passes of realbench and its stable. I guess I will keep upping BCKL until something breaks.

Amazing though I couldnt even get step up 4.2 in the bios to work before playing with BCLK

cekim
Level 11
zoran wrote:
I have a question. My system had become completely unstable and any attempt at even a minor OC got instant BSOD and after countless attempts I gave up and am ready to start a new build
However today as a last resort I messed with BCLK and upped it to 100.5 and using my previously stable OC setting for 4.2ghz I got a stable 1 hour bench with OCCT and several passes of realbench

Question is why? how has increasing BCLK stabilized my OC and is it an indication that my RAM is failing? (just a guess)57518

Digital logic is an an abstraction on top of analog circuitry... We think in 0's and 1's, but the reality is there is an extraordinarily complex and in analog terms noisy system running underneath. Every collection of electrical components has inherent frequency specific attenuation, filtering, etc... Then you have cross-talk and beat frequencies of components operating against each other asynchronously...

A stable system is able to operate over the full range of these inferences, resonances and noise injections, but if you were able to probe every point on the system and Tom Cruise, Minority Report style swipe your way through them, you'd see ripples, wiggles, stutters and near failures all over the place in terms of the electrical signal conforming to the requirements of either consumer(s) or producer(s) of a signal.

If you had time and measurement capability you could run the system over an infinite range and permutation of settings and if you graphed them all out you'd see a pretty tree of standard deviations at each permutation representing how much "margin" any given setting that worked had.

It would NOT be a flat line, you'd likely see resonance in these measurements with margin increasing and decreasing as you went up and down the frequency spectrum in a quasi-sinusoidal fashion.

Short version: very complex system, it has frequencies it likes and those it doesn't and some it doesn't like are lower than those it does.

Nate152
That's what we like to see a nice overclock. 🙂

I still find it strange you have to up the BCLK for stability but at any rate if you're upgrading to z170 and are into BCLK overclocking you might want to consider the 6700k, it can overclock the BCLK further than the 6600k.

The most I could get on my maximus v extreme was like 105.3

zoran
Level 9
Thanks for that info.Will take a look at the 6700k and will be sure to post the build on the forums before pulling the trigger