cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help with unknown error ASAP! Please HELP!

Dabgaming
Level 7
Hello everyone. For the past 6-7 months i keep getting a pc shutdown/restart crash (only) while playing games (i mostly play Hunt : Showdown). It happens once or twice per day, most of the times only once but sometimes not at all. What i can say about the game is that it is a CPU intensive game but my specs are way above the recommended requirements. I'm not even sure if it is a specific game related issue. I have a gtx 1070 8 gb, i7 3.8 ghz, 16 gb ram, 120 hz gsync monitor, licensed Windows 10 home. If all of this is even relevant. Now about the error i get. While playing the game i crash to a white monitor, sometimes yellowish, sometimes has colored squares/pixels followed by shutdown and restart. It is not a blue screen of death (it is not blue colored, assuming bsod are not always blue) and has no message or text what so ever. The performance in games is flawless, i'm specifying this just to point out that up to the crash point everything runs perfectly. I will also specify that 3 days ago i had a fresh windows re install and a professional repaste service. There is no temp issues or throttling or any other performance related issues. Now, when i check the event log in Event Viewer i get this volmgr 161 error with "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation" https://imgur.com/ytbiE5Y and on the details tab i get this https://imgur.com/l59NCZs. Further investigation (using WinObj program) reveals that \Device\HarddiskVolume4 is related to my OS (C:) https://imgur.com/FkQglEk which is my SSD 250 gb where i have my OC installed, programs and games (160 gb free of 237).
This is way beyond my knowledge and i need help please. If anyone needs me to provide more info about anything else let me know please. Thank you very much!!
3 REPLIES 3

Dabgaming
Level 7
Really? Nobody? 😞

Hey there,

This very much looks like thermal throttling where CPU either 'slows' itself down or 'shuts down'. But as you said you are sure that your temperatures are normal, you can check a few things.

a) Are you using any third party software for CPU undervolting, etc.? If yes, restore default CPU and GPU clocks, voltages and disable the software temporarily for testing.

b) What windows power plan are you using while gaming? Make sure its balanced or high performance. Either way, go into Advanced Power settings >> Processor power management >> Check minimum and maximum processor state on battery and when plugged in. Set minimum processor state to 5% and maximum processor state to 100%. Also set system cooling policy to ACTIVE.

Do your tests and revert if above steps helped 🙂

vashish27 wrote:
Hey there,

This very much looks like thermal throttling where CPU either 'slows' itself down or 'shuts down'. But as you said you are sure that your temperatures are normal, you can check a few things.

a) Are you using any third party software for CPU undervolting, etc.? If yes, restore default CPU and GPU clocks, voltages and disable the software temporarily for testing.

b) What windows power plan are you using while gaming? Make sure its balanced or high performance. Either way, go into Advanced Power settings >> Processor power management >> Check minimum and maximum processor state on battery and when plugged in. Set minimum processor state to 5% and maximum processor state to 100%. Also set system cooling policy to ACTIVE.

Do your tests and revert if above steps helped 🙂

I can't use any third party software because my pc came with turbo gear, which means the overclocking is automatic when needed via rog gaming center. I cannot overclock manually. I tried using afterburner and two more and every option in the softwares were greyed out. My power plan is high performance, always been and never changed it. The minimum and maximum processor state is on default and never changed it. I don't know if you checked the pictures i posted , the error seems to have something to do with \Device\HarddiskVolume4 which is C: which is my SSD. A diagnostic test costs around 300 dollars in my country and takes 2-3 days. I thought maybe before i throw money around i can find some people with the same issue that can confirm some things. Thanks for the answer anyways man, have a good one.