cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i need help and asus phone tech support is freaking useless. can anyone help me?

bulkchart32
Level 7
i have an asus z97-a/3.1usb mobo. i bent the pins on the usb 3.0 header. i need to know how much it will cost for asus to repair this. when i 1st called and asked, i was told that i would need to mail it in so the engineers could look at it to give me a price. long story short, i told them that wasn't going to happen and i wanted a price because that would determine if i send the mobo to them or not. then they told me that it would probably be the cost of a new mobo which is $100-$150. that is more than i paid for the board(i got it from walmart.com for about 120 with no shipping charges). i kept on with them and they said that they would escalate my case to higher level tech support. i 1st called them on saturday and it is now wensday and i have called them every day since saturday and they still can't tell me. COME ON! i need a freaking usb 3.0 header soldered onto my board. when i bent the cpu pens up on the board a couple years ago, they told me it would be a 50 dollar repair. now, they can't even tell me the price of a simple usb 3.0 header. this is unacceptable asus! anyway, now that i have my complaining out of the way, does anyone know how much it would cost for me to send the mobo in and get the usb 3.0 header repaired? side note: asus really needs to find people that speak better english.

UPDATE:i got an email from asus saying that the repair cost would be $100-$300. i love asus stuff but i'm about to be done with them if they can't offer better support than this.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
The first quote was likely correct. Manufacturing is automated with machines so per board cost is low. Repairs are done manually by skilled labor so it costs more. It might also be that they have tooling and jigs to replace sockets since that is relatively common and they know what it will cost. Other board repairs may be less predictable and more labor intensive.

Also, from what I've seen people post here it is most expensive to have ASUS perform the work. It's like taking a car to the dealership vs an independent mechanic. So if you want to save money I would see if there's any business near you that will do the repair.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The first quote was likely correct. Manufacturing is automated with machines so per board cost is low. Repairs are done manually by skilled labor so it costs more. It might also be that they have tooling and jigs to replace sockets since that is relatively common and they know what it will cost. Other board repairs may be less predictable and more labor intensive.

Also, from what I've seen people post here it is most expensive to have ASUS perform the work. It's like taking a car to the dealership vs an independent mechanic. So if you want to save money I would see if there's any business near you that will do the repair.

your probably correct but i don't know of anyone that will do it locally. i may be able to do it myself but that leadless solder crap that they used when making that board is really difficult to work with and takes a super hot solder iron to work it well. i'd rather asus do it so that i don't screw it up if the price is right.

Super_Gnome
Level 11
If it were me, and I had your board I'd probably not bother with getting it fixed. You probably have one or two other usb ports, yeah? I'd connect a splitter usb port to what I had, and with an eye on not putting too much demand on the splitter, and hence damaging a second port, I'd try to get away with managing it that way along with some bluetooth or other workarounds. Of course, that may not be suitable in your case. I'd also keep in mind that doing that as long as I could would mean the bucks not spent on repairing the board could instead go to a newer board a year or two out when I could probably upgrade to the next level. Just my two cents.

Super Gnome wrote:
If it were me, and I had your board I'd probably not bother with getting it fixed. You probably have one or two other usb ports, yeah? I'd connect a splitter usb port to what I had, and with an eye on not putting too much demand on the splitter, and hence damaging a second port, I'd try to get away with managing it that way along with some bluetooth or other workarounds. Of course, that may not be suitable in your case. I'd also keep in mind that doing that as long as I could would mean the bucks not spent on repairing the board could instead go to a newer board a year or two out when I could probably upgrade to the next level. Just my two cents.

your correct however, just knowing that this part of the board would be messed up would bug me really badly. i get kinda ocd about things not working, sometimes.

bulkchart32
Level 7
sigh.......i've had my feel of asus. hopefully, one of y'all can answer what they have been unable and unwilling to answer for me. the usb 3.0 header on my z97 board has visibly bent pins in it and needs a new header soldered in. asus can not tell me how much this will cost to fix and they tell me that i need to send the board in to get a price on it. their estimate is somewhere between $100-$300(the board cost about 120 from walmart.com). does anyone know how much asus charges to fix a usb 3.0 header with bent pins?
p.s. i highly recommend not buying asus parts anymore. if u ever need out of warranty help then u are screwed!

Mixer
Level 7
bulkchart32 wrote:
i have an asus z97-a/3.1usb mobo. i bent the pins on the usb 3.0 header.

I'm really curious how bent those pins are ? I suppose you thought about trying to straighten them out ?
You can forget Asus support, I bet you know 100% more than the person that "tries" to help. It's pretty irritating.
Don't know about your skills, but have you seen this: http://www.justinmerrill.com/2013/11/22/how-to-fix-broken-motherboard-header-pin/

Mixer wrote:
I'm really curious how bent those pins are ? I suppose you thought about trying to straighten them out ?
You can forget Asus support, I bet you know 100% more than the person that "tries" to help. It's pretty irritating.
Don't know about your skills, but have you seen this: http://www.justinmerrill.com/2013/11/22/how-to-fix-broken-motherboard-header-pin/

that's interesting. thank u.