cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hue+ on the ROG EXT USB header - does it work?

Live_Ammo
Level 10
I have the Z270E mobo and plugged in my HUE+ to USB1314 which I believe is also a connection point for ROG EXT devices.

Does this port work differently to the other 2 USB ports?

Basically my HUE+ led strip leds and AER RGB fan led lights are not working. I aam just wandering whether this is a problem with this partcular USB header as thee mobo manual refers to the USB 1314 and ROG EXT as ROG DEVICE CONNECTORS. I found a couple of other users, when googled, complaining about the same problem - is it the USB header or could it be something else?

BTW i haven't installed CAM yet, but on power up I was told the HUE+ leds and fan leds should light up ''white''. Mine doesn't hence I am assuming theres a problem with the mobo USB compatibility - I would appreciate any help.
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
That is not a USB 2.0 header is its with the ROG EXT header. Chances are you have only one header and need to use a hub if you have multiple devices.
Which MOBO?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
That is not a USB 2.0 header is its with the ROG EXT header. Chances are you have only one header and need to use a hub if you have multiple devices.
Which MOBO?

My Z270E mobo manual shows the ROG EXT header alongside a second header USB1314 (confirming 2.0 USB) and refers to both of these as 'ROG EXT connectors'. I'm assuming some or all ROG devices plug into both of these headers. Though both headers are referred as ROG connectors, the manual fails to mention whether the USB1314 can be used as a regular USB header too, in the absence of ROG devices.

Would it be safe to try the HUE+ on it to see if it works? I double checked viewing the online manual too (assuming its an updated version)
and it too confirms USB1314 as a 2.0 USB connection.

Live_Ammo wrote:
My Z270E mobo manual shows the ROG EXT header alongside a second header USB1314 (confirming 2.0 USB) and refers to both of these as 'ROG EXT connectors'. I'm assuming some or all ROG devices plug into both of these headers. Though both headers are referred as ROG connectors, the manual fails to mention whether the USB1314 can be used as a regular USB header too, in the absence of ROG devices.

Would it be safe to try the HUE+ on it to see if it works? I double checked viewing the online manual too (assuming its an updated version)
and it too confirms USB1314 as a 2.0 USB connection.

There is only 1 USB 2.0 header. I use a powered internal usb 2.0 hub**

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
There is only 1 USB 2.0 header. I use a powered internal usb 2.0 hub**

I got it to work. I read some user reviews online based on the same issue informing it works as an ordinary USB 2.0 header. Got my HUE+, led strips and RGB fans all lit up.

I have 3 USB headers on mine, USB910, USB1112 and USB1314. One used for the front panel I/O usb ports, second for the Kraken pump and now the third for the Hue+. All working perfectly!