cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to fix PDF?

matyas_meszaros
Level 7
Hello!
This situation I have. I scanned a document and saved it in PDF format on a flash drive. That is, while maintaining the path indicated directly on the flash drive. Then I checked the file and it worked fine and opened with no problems. After that, I pulled the flash drive and after a couple of hours inserted it into another computer. But the file is not opened in Adobe Reader. Writes that the file is corrupted. What is this miracle? I want to try to restore file because I no longer have the document and again to scan it is not possible.
6 REPLIES 6

matyas_meszaros
Level 7
guys have any ideas on my question?

kkn
Level 14
shure it is the same version of adobe?

Try to rasterize in Adobe Photoshop or try to open file with Adobe Illustrator. Try to check the file using CDChek. It will check the file and CRC. In case of discrepancy, the program will ignore the failing bytes. And all that in normal condition should show.

If it will not show and will make nothing then try the PDF Repair Kit to repair broken pdf. http://www.adobepdf.repair/

Thank you guys for your feedback and help. Thank you!

Korth
Level 14
Korth wrote:
You could download a new copy of the PDF document, if that's where it originally came from.

You could uninstall/reinstall Adobe, then try opening the PDF document again.

You could try an alternative PDF Reader (like one of these) - there's literally dozens to choose from and many are completely free. Adobe (Acrobat) PDF has been around forever and it basically built the whole PDF standard, but the common complaint is that Adobe has become a huge, bloaty, complex, multifaceted monster - glacially slow, unwieldy, and sometimes very crashy - it now supports hundreds of advanced features and complexities which are used by only the tiniest fraction of PDF documents or by the people reading them. So vast legions of non-Adobe PDF readers have constantly shadowed Adobe, built by people and for people who are frustrated by how much Adobe sucks.

If you insist on using Adobe then you might be very interested in AcroPDF SpeedUp - although you'll sometimes need to update this little app to a newer version when Adobe updates its own version.

There's also many "PDF document repair" utilities, though I've never used any, most aren't free, and none guarantee 100% recovery. If you try them, always work from a fresh copy of the damaged PDF instead of the original, so any changes (for the worse) made by the utilities aren't irrevocable.

As a last resort, you can try WinHex - it's the ultimate hex editor plus an entire suite of forensic data recovery tools. It may or may not actually be able to reconstruct a corrupted PDF file, but it can at least be used to view the file contents in raw byte formats, most of it might look like garbage but some or all of the text will still be readable.

WinHex is probably your best bet for manually recovering/copying the raw text into another file, although it won't help you recover any document formatting. Chances are the damage to your PDF document affect an entire "block".

If you are exceedingly lucky, the PDF file might be entirely recoverable by running some sort of file recovery/undelete tool on the flash drive. But the more you use the drive (and let it update the file system or overwrite "unused" blocks), the less chance you'll be able to recover the original data.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]