cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Asus. The AM3 bracket doesn't fit the ROG Crosshair VI Hero board by default

Decoman
Level 7
I learned today, that the plastic AM3 bracket that came with some screws and a protected metal backplate, doesn't fit the board.

It would have been nice if you had informed me of this, on your website. Surely you would already have known, because of how you made the holes for the AM3 coolers.

Luckily, it seems that I can use the "trench" in the plastic, on the backside, to saw off some plastic, to make the bracket fit. Worst case, I could saw off the entire side.

Somewhat related: The AM4 backplate, has a mild adhesive, and can easily be loosened, by using a small flat screwdriver. I just had to apply a little pressure, and hold it for a few seconds, then I heard the adhesive loosen up. I repeated this at all four corners, and could eventually remove the bakcplate by hand.
2 REPLIES 2

Rashkae
Level 7
Decoman wrote:
I learned today, that the plastic AM3 bracket that came with some screws and a protected metal backplate, doesn't fit the board.

It would have been nice if you had informed me of this, on your website. Surely you would already have known, because of how you made the holes for the AM3 coolers.

Luckily, it seems that I can use the "trench" in the plastic, on the backside, to saw off some plastic, to make the bracket fit. Worst case, I could saw off the entire side.

Somewhat related: The AM4 backplate, has a mild adhesive, and can easily be loosened, by using a small flat screwdriver. I just had to apply a little pressure, and hold it for a few seconds, then I heard the adhesive loosen up. I repeated this at all four corners, and could eventually remove the bakcplate by hand.

What cooler's AM3 backplate? It's the CPU cooler that comes with their backplate, not the motherboard. You should talk to your CPU HSF manufacturer.

My Cryorig AM3 backplate fits perfectly.

Decoman
Level 7
"What cooler's AM3 backplate?"

Maybe you meant "bracket"? I don't understand your question.

It is the bracket on top by the cpu socket I am pointing to, which did not fit (by default). My backplate fits ok.