cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Spilt water on laptop!!

gordon86
Level 7
Help!

Spilt water on laptop and it's still wet inside 2 days later. I left it to dry and then decided to open it and there's a lot of moisture inside (under keyboard).

Any advice on how to save it?*
8 REPLIES 8

MasterScythus
Level 7
gordon86 wrote:
Help!

Spilt water on laptop and it's still wet inside 2 days later. I left it to dry and then decided to open it and there's a lot of moisture inside (under keyboard).

Any advice on how to save it?*

Remove all power to the laptop. Disconnect all cables. Pull up your keyboard. There should be little rectangle notches you can use a very small screwdriver to pry it up. They should go across the top. Get what moisture you can out with q-tips, power towels, etc. When done, lay it down keyboard down on a towel and take your back panel off. You need to inspect the components on the underside. Do the same methods you used to clean the keyboard area out.

Zka17
Level 16
Disconnect all power, take it apart and have a fan blowing on it for 24 hours... - that if it was water... if it was more than water, then you have to wash it first...

Thanks for the advice, I stupidly tried to switch it on without checking that it was totally dry, hopefully I haven't ruined it! Even over 48 hours later there was still a lot of moisture under the plastic film on top of the motherboard. Not sure how to lift this film up without breaking something.

UltraNEO_
Level 11
Oh ****..

Never turn on electrical devices if they get wet. Better wait a week, remove the battery and air them somewhere warm. Some suggest covering the device in a pile of rice can help.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

Looks like it's ruined *:( took it to a repair place who said the motherboard is damaged

So does anyone have an idea how much I could get for the chassis and screen (in the UK)? Assuming screen will work as water only went on the keyboard.

I guess there's a chance the CPU is OK but how to test it? I assume it's not as simple as pulling it out and sticking it in another laptop.

panzlock
Level 12
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Haha thanks for your concern panzlock
panzlock wrote: