cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware vs software sound processing

archie79
Level 7
I have just bought an LG 2.1 sound bar that has built in hardware processing which supports Dobly and DTS. It has built in Cinema mode for games and movies. Adaptive sound which changes sound frequencies in real-time depending on what you are listening to and of course standard mode. My question, is it better to let the hardware do all the sound effect processing or through software? Previous to this I was using Creative S3 Kratos which I controlled all the sound effect processing with Sonic Studio 3.
3 REPLIES 3

Arriva-Northern
Level 7
archie79 wrote:
I have just bought an LG 2.1 sound bar that has built in hardware processing which supports Dobly and DTS. It has built in Cinema mode for games and movies. Adaptive sound which changes sound frequencies in real-time depending on what you are listening to and of course standard mode. My question, is it better to let the hardware do all the sound effect processing or through software? Previous to this I was using Creative S3 Kratos which I controlled all the sound effect processing with Sonic Studio 3.

Hey there I Used them same speakers which my dad now has but for some reason he can't get sound blaster 2 to connect to them really annoying I Bought the sound blaster x Katana Sound bar and it's great but if your looking for sound enhancements id recommend Boom 3D It offers full surround sound and 3D Sound of course the difference in change of how much better and clearer and louder even the sound can be is staggering like your LG Sound bar this has Dolby plus built in or something like that and DTX But non of them are any use to me right now I Tried Dolby Access from the windows store but never found it any use but try out boom 3D Then make your own presents you can get a 30 day free trial the trial originally is 15 days but when you sign in or sign up you will get the full 30 days so you have nothing to loose for absolutely amazing 3D Surround sound ! Careful though cause it's powerful i mean it's enough for room shaking bass if you mess round to much like I Do with the base set to +4 on the sound bar :rolleyes: Just a warning.

Picture of my Boom 3D Set up - https://i.ibb.co/Qbw9mBd/BOOM3d.png

Link to Global Delight site to get Boom 3D Trial - https://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

I Hope this is helpful ! PS I'm a newbie here so not really in to tune on how it all works hope y' all are doing well and keeping safe !!

archie79,

Technically speaking the sound bar should be doing all of the audio processing. From what I remember, when you connect the audio device S/PDIF the sound card rarely has built-in features such as Dolby or DTS. I know there is a couple programs you can download from the Microsoft store that Dolby or DTS related. However, they aren't great.
Is there a way you can actually change the sound modes on the sound bar physically?

AS185 wrote:
archie79,

Technically speaking the sound bar should be doing all of the audio processing. From what I remember, when you connect the audio device S/PDIF the sound card rarely has built-in features such as Dolby or DTS. I know there is a couple programs you can download from the Microsoft store that Dolby or DTS related. However, they aren't great.
Is there a way you can actually change the sound modes on the sound bar physically?

It all depends on where the source is coming from. If it's coming directly from a TV then you have no choice. If it's coming from Bluetooth then you are bound to what the Bluetooth device can offer. If it's coming from a network PC (or a PC connected directly) then there is tons of options. The Dolby Access app is only good if the Soundbar supports Dolby ATMOS. Boom 3D would be best in this situation. Now if you are wanting the best quality then use high-end music/video Player software like J.River Media Center. J.River has Audiophile DSP processing.