cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like my HDD is dying. Could someone check this out?

Jacobbil
Level 7
So yesterday my computer took an abysmal amount of time to boot up. It was acting slow all around so I restarted it only to find out my system32 has been corrupted. So I did a CHKDSK /f and used CCleaner to fix some registry errors and it was running more or less fine for the rest of the day. Today, I got a bluescreen out of nowhere right before I was about to play League.

I've got the dump right here. I'm not an expert on this, so all I know is it has something to do with my Kernal making an exception and System 32 having a critical process termination. To clarify, these are two separate bluescreens.

==================================================
Dump File : 030514-36800-01.dmp
Crash Time : 05/03/2014 1:51:16 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff960`000d6483
Parameter 3 : fffff880`09c48070
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : win32k.sys
Caused By Address : win32k.sys+c6483
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030514-36800-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 276,256

Dump File : 030414-31715-01.dmp
Crash Time : 04/03/2014 2:49:52 PM
Bug Check String : CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Bug Check Code : 0x000000f4
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`09a23b30
Parameter 3 : fffffa80`09a23e10
Parameter 4 : fffff800`02d7e260
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7600.17273 (win7_gdr.130318-1532)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+6f880
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\030414-31715-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7600
Dump File Size : 276,256

I have a pretty old Asus G73jh-(b1, I think.) The battery's dead (orange/red flashing light), but I have it plugged in 99% of the time anyways so I'm not sure it matters. I've been maintaining it since I got it, regularly cleaning the insides, doing weekly defrags and making sure I've got ample space left on the disk drives. Can't help but feel like it'll be kicking the bucket soon. Should I take it to get serviced? I'm probably going to back my important stuff up. My main question is 'what should I do?' Also, though, I'd like to try everything I can do right now before reformatting or taking it to get serviced.

Thanks in advance, guys.
6 REPLIES 6

kkn
Level 14
try and update some drivers and see if that works ( drivers on first blue screen ( easy to google the errors ) )
if the drive is a hdd and not a ssd, then do a defrag on it and see if that helps.
the possibilities CAN be there that the HDD is going to die but if so you would loose data ( files ) if some of the plates are going bad or the drive would fully stop functioning.
its not easy to tell.
but try and update the drivers to the newest and see how that goes.

but DO try and post things about this in the notebook section since thats where the ppl whit laptops hang around. ( since you have a laptop )

Jacobbil
Level 7
Yeah, sorry. I was multitasking and in somewhat of a panic when I posted this. I really should've looked around more. My bad, but I appreciate the help.

Jacobbil
Level 7
I've defragged, done sfc, done chkdsk, updated drivers, tried system repair. Still having problems. It seems like its getting worse every day. I solve the problems for the day and new ones magically appear every time I shut off my computer. I can't open windows photo viewer or a ton of applications. It doesn't even give me an error most of the time. I'll click 'em and they'll load for a few seconds before not doing anything.

I'm pretty sure new stuff is getting corrupted every day. CHKDSK didn't return anything today, though. Virus scan returned only one result. I dealt with it, but I don't think it was the problem.

Edit: So, Adobe Flash player was acting funky and I reinstalled it which fixed the problem. The issue was that it was corrupted. This when I woke up. The problem's back, presumably for the same reason. :I

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
When was the last time you performed a fresh install?

Jacobbil
Level 7
It's such a hassle I generally don't do it. Admittedly, I probably should. My CD burner doesn't work anymore. I've made a USB recovery drive (I think I did it right, but I'm not sure.) just in-case it comes to that. Would you highly recommend it? I have Windows 7 Home Premium, but no recovery ISO. I had to download one. The product key for my windows is hopefully on the bottom of my laptop. The biggest thing is that I don't want to reinstall windows, let alone format, only to find out my HDD is dying. HDD death is sudden, though, isn't it? I want to keep using this laptop, so I'd rather fix it or get it serviced than abandon it.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
HDD death is indeterminable mate, it can take seconds, days, weeks even months before it gives out. Your best bet is to backup all of your important data first. Then when you have, reboot and simply hit F9 to initiate a fresh install, no formatting required 🙂