cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everyone on W7 with an UEFI Asus motherboard was hit (not bootable)

sk2play
Level 13
Microsoft "Recommended" update KB3133977 will make your W7 OS not boot.
Doesn't matter if it is a ASUS OEM, Standard or ROG MB with a UEFI BIOS.
Microsoft is pushing the Update forward as "Recommended" but at least now has a warning that W7 will not boot with ASUS Motherboards.

Forbes Article Here

ASUS WORKAROUND to this serious problem.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit
14 REPLIES 14

ChiefZeke
Level 10
Articles:
ASUS UEFI Bios and Win7 issue concerning invalid secure boot - http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1016356/

Also, see: http://betanews.com/2016/05/05/asus-secure-boot-windows-7-update/
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi all,

For those of you whom prefers to stay away from Windows 10 and are staying with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, here's one solution to keep the Microsoft Updates related to the Windows 10 migration for it's upgrade off your PC.

http://win10wiwi.com/

I use it on all my PC's without issue and feel it is safe and worth the time to prevent Microsoft from breaking the older OS's (intentionally) to get us to upgrade to Windows 10. It's also free/no cost at the present time.

I won't go into detail as to why I'm staying away from Windows 10 beyond stating "I don't like being force fed!". ... nough said

note: My reply is somewhat off topic, but it's what came to mind while reading sk2play's post. If anyone feels it doesn't belong, PM me and I'll delete it from here ASAP.

xeromist
Thank you for the warning!
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

sk2play
Level 13
I wonder if you could install Linux with a multi boot option and not have this problem with W7 and update KB3133977.
I have a dedicated Ubuntu 16.04 PC which I have used multi boot (super easy and very stable), but it is a Asus Pundit designed before the days of UEFI.
I don't want to multi boot my Gaming PC (Rog Hero VI) or Steam Box PC (Asus Z87-Pro) which both have Windows 10 on them anyways.
Anyone out there to test a Linux multi boot option?
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

kkn
Level 14
right click in inside the upgrade web, hit hide and it will not install/download.

Dave500
Level 7
Interesting i have Win 7 SP1 installed on my system, and i installed that update on the 16/03/2016 & my system boots into windows, so ??? and i am fairly sure that the last time i was in the bios secure boot was enabled , which i thought was a bit odd as Win7 doesn't support it

I have manually un-installed any update listed that is for telemetry and associated with Win 10 spy-ware and now use the GWX control panel tool http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/gwx_control_panel.html

TaintedShirt
Level 7
Pretty much the same as Dave500. Installed this update 14/04/2016. Have had no issues.
Am also using GWX control panel.

After recent update issues, I think I will start delaying updates for a week after release just so I can watch the fallout. Just like old times. lol

Ntwlf
Level 12
Hi Dave500 & TaintedShirt,

"I believe" it doesn't effect those that have the OS (Windows 7) installed to an "MBR" formatted disk, only those systems with a GPT (GUID Partition Table) are effected due to the additional security a GPT formatted disk provides.

Don't take my statement as gospel, as I'm still studying/learning about UEFI and GPT as opposed to MBR, installing and configuring Windows 7 X64 Pro to my new build. I'm coming from an old system (11 years old) that is partitioned MBR and has the old style BIOS, no UEFI, so have lots to learn on these newer motherboards.

Please let us know which format your drive is using for the windows installation.

Edit: Below kindly provided by TaintedShirt, "Thank You"

For those who don't know how to check, this link will show how. It's for Win8 but it works for Win7 too.

http://www.thpc.info/how/gpt_or_mbr.html

Is this confined to only ASUS boards? I wonder how many OEMs have ASUS boards.