cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

downgrade from 1440 to 1080?

Heini
Level 11
Am I crazy or what? I'm considering going back to 1920x 1080 from 2560 x 1440. I play single player stealth games, mostly the Hitman series. I have Win10 @ 175% just to be able to read the windows/browser stuff and gain little from the higher resolution in games. 6700K + 32g memory + Titan Xp. Am I crazy or what?

edit to add ... I may upgrade to a 2080 Ti @ 1080 to allow RayTracing for the upcoming Hitman release though 60hz gives me headaches compared to 60hz. For me 144 hz is more tolerable at any fps than 60hz.
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
It really comes down to personal preference, and also the pixels per inch. I find it's fairly noticeable when gaming or otherwise. The jump to 4K isn't so great, however.

Although the premise of real time ray tracing is exciting for long standing enthusiasts, I certainly wouldn't consider sacrificing screen resolution simply to drive it. These things will take time to mature.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I tried some 4K monitors recently and came back to 2560x1440...just go with what you find comfortable. Plus ray tracing might be more feasible at 1080p

Heini
Level 11
Got a 2080Ti and the newest drivers so Now I'm waiting for Hitman2 to be released on disc. Considering Hitman is a slow paced stealth game I'm hoping RayTracing @ 1440p won't be a crippler, otherwise RT will be turned off. No need to regress on monitor resolution.

My experience with a Strix 2080 (non-TI) and BF5 with Ray Tracing at 1440p is simply unplayable 🙂 Do read the ray tracing reviews and benchmarks so you know what you are getting yourself into. As with 1440p, I believe it's something that you want with a certain monitor size, in my case - 27". 1080p would look horrible on this size for me 🙂

Vlada011
Level 10
Stop to joke with RT and resolution, buy 4K monitor, real 4K with Free Sync, 60Hz, HDR, increase all settings to high only disable all possible filters and you will have nice fps in most games on 2160p. That's best gaming now, because on 4K resolution picture is clean like 1080p with filters and we are far from using 4K on settings as we used for 1080p.

I can bet half of people here is not aware how look 1080p resolution downscale on some 32-34" monitor with 4K native, only because RT.
Disgusting, you need x4 MSAA at least for flat edges + RT... RTX2080Ti Overclocked will not give you smooth fps.

Than problems with memory and rendering when on higher distance RT is not visible, than you come closer and suddenly start to show up like in some older games when wall show up in front of you, etc... if you buy Turing because RT better wait successor of Turing's successor.

On 4K resolution with RT Enabled RTX2080Ti can't give half fps of GTX1080Ti without RT on same resolution.
And card cost 1400 euro. Let's say 1350 for ASUS Turbo because that's reasonable investment for people who want to use liquid cooling plus.
Better Turbo+waterblock than some Zotac Extreme triple cooler worth 1500 euro.

In one moment I thought to buy ASUS RTX2080 Turbo, but I couldn't give 400 euro more than for my Poseidon and I knew I will have lower score than Strix and Poseidon Pascal. For 700 euro that would be great card + 120 Heatkiller IV and total price around 800.