cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIMM.2 with 1TB and Intel 750 Series 2.5" ssd 1.2 Tb; one or the other but not both.

spanishflyer
Level 7
Hi to all,

Originally I had an ASUS Z170 Deluxe mobo and had it configured so the Intel 750 Series 2.5" SSD was my OS drive (Windows 10 64 Pro.)

I recently changed the CPU to an i7 9700, so I also had to change my MoBo to an Asus Maximus XI Extreme.

Problem here is that whatever I did, my Intel drive would not be recognised by the new mobo, so I ended up buying two 1TB M.2 drives, installed them on the DIMM.2 that comes with the mobo and was able to install Windows 10 64 Pro on one of them (used the other M.2 drive to install games and big programs.

I also have several SATA drives where I keep my huge Photograph folders and keep my back-ups.

Problem is that I cannot make the Intel 750 Series 2.5" work or even be recognised by the mobo. This drive comes with a cable that plugs to the drive and the other side to a small card and on the PCIe slot marked on the image ; its an ASUS PCI Express 3.0 X4 Host Adapter .

After some testing I have managed to read the Intel SSD drive or the M.2 drive, but not both as I would like to; just changing one parameter on the MoBo BIOS I can chose which to use... My idea was to format the Intel drive and use it as extra high speed drive for games aso, but right now I see no way of achieving it.
6 REPLIES 6

davemon50
Level 11
To me your manual is unclear on what PCIe lanes are shared. Have you tried going into BIOS and changing settings for the following parameter:

Onboard Devices Configuration > CPU PCIE Configuration Mode

Your CPU is limited to 16 lanes, so redirecting lanes might be helpful to you. But the lane sharing might limit what you are trying to accomplish. Try changing that parameter and resetting to see if you can't get it to work.
Davemon50

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks Davemon50,

Will take a look and come back with whatever I find.
BR,
Spanish Flyer

Just checked and in the Bios configuration CPU PCIE Configuration Mode I only have two options:

DIMM.2_1 + PCIEX16_2 In which case the Intel 750 Series 2.5" is found and works as the OS drive

and if I chose:

DIMM.2_1 + DIMM.2_2, then the M.2 ssd is recognised and Windows runs normally, but then the Intel 750 Series 2.5" 1.2 TB is gone....

I just wonder what would happen if I swap the M.2 drives 1 and 2, so when selecting DIMM.2_1 + PCIEX16_2 I actually activate both drives; I would only have to select DIMM.2_1 as my boot device.... And if it works I can then format the Intel 750 Series SSD and use it ass a fast storage drive.

My only worry is that the system might prefer the Intel 750 OS and start Windows from that drive...

What do you think?

davemon50
Level 11
Try running your video card as x8 if you have the option to choose it. Then see if you can access all three of the drives. That isn't ideal I know, but you might simply have those limitations.
Davemon50

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks again Dave,
Will try that tomorrow, and will also try swapping the two M.2 drives as I mentioned..
BR

spanishflyer wrote:
Thanks again Dave,
Will try that tomorrow, and will also try swapping the two M.2 drives as I mentioned..
BR

Have swapped the two M.2 SSD drives on the DIMM.2 and arranged the BIOS to DIMM.2_1 + PCIEX16_2 in the CPU PCIE Configuration Mode and as I thought, now both the INTEL 1.2TB drive and the M.2 SSD are present and selected to boot from the M.2 drive.... I have thus been able to format the INTEL 750 and have an extra 1.2 TB to use for games & programs.
One problem though... The second M.2 ssd drive is gone !! I will place it in a normal M.2 slot on the MoBo and go from there. (but no idea why this second M.2 drive on the DIMM.2 is not acccessible...).

Just purchased a faster GTX 1080 Ti GPU, so I have no intention of reducing the GPU performance, so I will leave it as is for the time being.

Thanks again and best regards,

Spanish Fllyer