cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
32 REPLIES 32

I need some help.. I've been experiencing a problem with my motherboard (I think?). I'm getting a high cpu temperature whenever I play games, do some tasks. I tried to use some 3rd party softwares to stress test my PC and it's really running hot. I'm getting 84c whenever I play games, do some tasks, run stress test, but in idle mode I'm getting around 32c-35c. I've already updated my bios, reformat pc, reapply thermal paste (4 times).

At fist I thought it's because of my Liquid AIO, so I borrowed my friend's ID Cooling Frostflow for a couple of days and ran some test and I was surprised it was averaging 88c!!!! So we transferred my processor to his motherboard (MSI 370) and ran some test, it was averaging 64c-70c. So I think the real problem is my motherboard.

I called Asus tech support and they advised me to bring the hardware to the nearest service center in my location.. Before I bring it there, I just want to know if any of you guys experienced this and if this is really a motherboard issue? 😞

Specs:
Intel i5-8500
Asus ROG Strix z370-F Gaming
Asus ROG Strix Vega 64
Cooler Master ML240L
TridentZ 3000mhz 8*2 (16gb total)
Thermaltake 720w Gold+
WD M.2 240gb
1tb HDD
Inwin 303 ROG case

Bios setting:
XMP - On
Multi-core Enhancement - On

MoKiChU
Level 40

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi everyone,

New BIOS 1802 [30/01/2019] for ROG Strix Z370-E/F/G/G (Wi-Fi AC)/I Gaming has just been released :

Hey, updated my Strix Z370-F to the new 1802 BIOS and suddenly my vcore goes way higher than before when using the exact same settings (nothing special, XMP, MCE off, no oc) with temps up to 80° while before I got barely over 60°. I'll fiddle around later and try defaults (edit: didn't help one bit) but maybe someone else is seeing the same? Oh I'm using a 8700K. Looks like what was going on when I first got the mobo in 2017 before updates fixed it.

edit: Went back to 1601, reloaded default settings and now everything seems back to normal. So either I had bad luck or 1801 is broken.

edit: Nah, still having temp issue, no idea what's going on, gotta troubleshoot some more.

Ch3vr0n
Level 11
84 is nothing unusually high. You can't also just compare 1 motherboard to another. 2 different boards have 2 different designs and each is impacted differently on heat transfer. There's also the fact that liquid coolers (while being more efficient than air to move heat) also keep the temperature longer at the same temp. On prime 95 for example when run with an air cooler and the test stops, the temp drops within seconds. With a liquid cooler it can stay easily 30-60min at the same temp before it starts lowering

so is it safe to conclude that there's no problem with the processor or motherboard?

aMpEd_uP
Level 7
Nice! But as said earlier - what's the changes made? I don't really wanna flash BIOS just for like 2% improvment in WiFi conecctivity, you know i'am sayin?

piratino
Level 9
Hello guys, can someone please help me on Voltages??
I have a Z370-G WiFi.
I really can't understand if my cpu V are low or what.

Ok, if I don't activate XMP this is what I have:

CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Auto] >> 1.072
DRAM Voltage [Auto] >> 1.200
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto] >> 0.968
CPU System Agent Voltage [Auto] >> 1.080
PCH Core Voltage [Auto] >> 1.048
CPU Standby Voltage [Auto] >> 1.004

My system was unstable, so I asked a friend that told me to higher the cpu core to fixed V1.20. Everything runs good with that voltage.
At that time I had bios ver. 1412. Since that time I have never tried to run my cpu at [Auto] voltages again, and check if now would be stable. Always though was the Voltage and needed to use my computer, so I forgot it.

Now that I have installed last bios ver. 1802 I decided to at least understand the voltages that should be set in this motherboard, as I really don't know what should and should not be.

Here is how they vary if I activate XMP:

CPU Core/Cache Voltage [Manual Mode] << as for my previous belief
- CPU Core Voltage Override [1.120]
DRAM Voltage [1.344] >> 1.3530
CPU VCCIO Voltage [Auto] >>1.328
CPU System Agent Voltage [Auto] >> 1.384
PCH Core Voltage [Auto] >> 1.048
CPU Standby Voltage [Auto] >> 1.007

Is this ok??
Should I disable Manual Mode on cpu core and see if I have stability?

Ps: to check for stability...best way/benchmark/software??

Thank you.

MoKiChU
Level 40

date of H bios update have not been updated on OP.

katlani
Level 9
wondering why latest 1803 is not appearing yet on the UEFI BIOS EZ Flash utility directly when searching, usually it takes 4-5 days to show up but its been like a week now.
Perhaps ASUS doesn't want to push this via auto update from UEFI BIOS? I'm referring to ASUS Z370-A PRIME (its available for manual download from the support page).