cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cursed! x79 & Xeon E51680v2 Two dead motherboards, third only boots 1 of 3 CPUs :(

tripster69
Level 7
***SOLVED***
EZ update does not seem to work properly in Win10 - Please make sure you update your BIOS using ROG connect (via the white USB port)

Hi guys, was wondering if somebody could help with this issue.

I've had two Rampage IV Extreme motherboards fail on me recently, both ended up having an issue where standby lights were on but the board would not power up, the recent replacement lasted about a month without issues and I'm assuming it was a failure due to age and OC. Press the power (both on board and case) and no fans, no post code, nothing. Probably because they are old motherboards?

So today I'm on my third motherboard! I also have 3 CPUs in my possession. E5 1680v2 (amazing CPU, hence sticking with x79), and backup CPUs:
i7-3820k
i7-4820k

The latest board is a Rampage IV Formula and now i'm 270GBP deep into replacement motherbaords on ebay. The Formula fits better in my new case, so that's a plus.

However, I had some problems today and frustration has peaked. Tbh I don't think I've ever had so much frustration in all my years of system builds :mad:

-- The issue --

With the new Formula board and one stick of ram in the appropriate slot, I put the main E5 CPU in and it would not boot. POST CODE 00. I thought to myself, this is odd but I do remember that CPU compatibility was updated with new BIOS updates, so I try the i7-4820k and have the same issue. Then finally the 3820k works, very strange.

So the system boots up with the 3820 and I find out that the board is running an ancient bios version, 1005 :eek:

So I spend 45 minutes trying to find the .ROM to .CAP update tool for ancient BIOS on the ASUS support page, in case anyone else has this issue and is browsing google for an answer, it's not actually listed under the win10 supported bios utilities, instead to find this you must select 'Other' in the OS dropdown.

After running the BIOS conversion, I then installed the latest 5001 bios version, excited to put the Xeon back in. This is obviously what was causing the issue, right?

Wrong! 😞

I try the Xeon again, with one stick of ram just to see if it boots, and again the same error, post code 00. I try to clear the cmos, remove the battery for 2 mins with board unplugged. The CMOS clear button on the back of the mobo and also the reset button on the mobo itself.

Nothing worked.

So I try my 4820k again, same issue! Code 00.

Back to the 3820k, and just as I expected, it boots first time!

Both the 4820 and the Xeon appear to have no damage, and the Xeon would still occasionally boot with the old board (very strange issues, but almost certain the CPU was still fine.

I would really appreciate some help here, I have a 3080 TUF in the system and with the Xeon overclocked to 4.5ghz it was an absolute beast.

Right now, however, it's useless, and my wallet is hurting.

Surely it's not a faulty board if the 3820k works in windows fine? Contemplating returning it on ebay, but I don't know if the mobo is faulty or not at this point. What should I do next?

***SOLVED***
EZ update does not seem to work properly in Win10 - Please make sure you update your BIOS using ROG connect (via the white USB port)
0 REPLIES 0