cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temperature

Links
Level 7
Hi,
A strange CPU behavior has appeared yesterday.
No matter, what I do, it rapidly heats up, and cools down.

In idle it's 30c and stable.
E.g I lauch browser - temp goes up to 50 or even more. (monitoring in aida64 and mobo onboard display), after the browser has loaded (1-2sec) the CPU goes back to 30c very fast. CPU fan rpm goes up and down, while the CPU temp jumps.

I click any link, open any document/programm (heavier than notepad or paint) and cpu temp jumps 30-55 and back.
In BIOS the fan is set to quiete mode.

CPU cooler attached well. (I think the temp wouldn't be 30 in idle if the cooler was loose).

Does anyone have any ideas?
63 REPLIES 63

You mean we can force the CPU to sit on 1.3 even if it wants more?

Fun? My hands sweat like hell...

Idle temp has risen to around 36 in aida and 34 in mobo onboard display.
6 minutes stress - 64c

How fast is your CPU running?
What do you think about lifespawn decrease?

Nate152
Yes we can make it stick at 1.30v even if it wants more.

This is why it is important to pay attention to the temps and voltage when overclocking, we know so far temps are great and however much it goes over 1.30v we will subtract the overshoot with a negative offset.

I think, i'll stop at x48.
It's already a good OC from the stock x42.

Is there anything else we can tweak?
Should we leave voltage on 1.3? Or can we go down a bit and try to achieve some temp decrease?

Nate152
Actually you gained 300MHz from the turbo boost of 4.5GHz.

You can go higher if you want, temps say you can. Here's my 7700k at 5.0GHz with 1.312v playing watchdogs 2.

Temps are in the 1st column third section down and vcore is in the third column with the first yellow mark. Click the pic to make it bigger.

Do you still want to overclock more or lower the voltage ? You make the call. 🙂

My CPU is not watercooled, so i'll stop here.

Besides, i can get back to OC anytime)

So, what is there left to tweak? And what will it provide?

Nate152
Ok, just remember water cooled or not temps control how far you can go.

Since you want to stop at 4.8GHz you can try the cpu core/cache voltage at 1.25v and see if it passes the test at 4.8GHz. Once you find the lowest voltage you can switch to adaptive mode and your cpu will throttle speed and voltage at idle and will drop temps considerably.

What gpu do you have ?

Now I don't have any GPU, cuz 1080ti is so close, and buying a 1080 is not to smart I think.
Since you want to stop at 4.8GHz

Sounds like you are judging me 🙂

Pity that it's so late. Must go to bed.
Can you please describe the voltage tweaking process in detail a bit more.
Tomorrow I'll work that through.
I'm not planning to reach some super-low voltage. Just to take off that little excess that is left as i think. Maybe just 0.05v.
If it works on 1.25 i will leave it. Is there any adaptive/other modes needed here?

Thank you so much for the guidence!
If there any questions, i hope, i can address them to you.

Nate152
You're welcome

If it's stable at 4.8GHz with 1.25v, switch the cpu core/cache voltage from manual to adaptive, then enter in 1.25v in the "Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage Override". Make sure the windows power plan is set to balanced, your cpu will drop speed and voltage at idle which will reduce temps at idle a good bit.

If I'm judging you I'd say you're a quick learner at overclocking. 🙂

Overclocking your gpu (when you get your 1080 Ti) will increase performance by about 10 FPS depending on the game and settings. I like to fool with BCLK overclocking some too, while the performance gain is miniscule it's still fun to see how far you can get.

Zka17
Level 16
Good job, Nate152! 🙂

Fancy0917
Level 7
Computer may become unstable if too much heat builds up. Here are some things you can do about it to prevent it for overheating:

1. Dust out your computer’s case.
2. Put the computer in a location where it can properly ventilate itself.
3. Check that all the fans are running
4. Tune up heat sinks.