cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temperature

Links
Level 7
Hi,
A strange CPU behavior has appeared yesterday.
No matter, what I do, it rapidly heats up, and cools down.

In idle it's 30c and stable.
E.g I lauch browser - temp goes up to 50 or even more. (monitoring in aida64 and mobo onboard display), after the browser has loaded (1-2sec) the CPU goes back to 30c very fast. CPU fan rpm goes up and down, while the CPU temp jumps.

I click any link, open any document/programm (heavier than notepad or paint) and cpu temp jumps 30-55 and back.
In BIOS the fan is set to quiete mode.

CPU cooler attached well. (I think the temp wouldn't be 30 in idle if the cooler was loose).

Does anyone have any ideas?
63 REPLIES 63

Hm...
Will dropping to 1.25 affect the temp now?
Or how much more will we warm up with x48?

Summer is near, and don't really want to stress my cpu for extra 100 mhz.

Sadly, but I can't play on intel HD630 graphics.

Nate152
Raising the core ratio to 48 shouldn't affect temps much but they may rise a few degrees, you have alot of headroom is why I suggested to stay with 1.30v.

You may be able to hit 5.0GHz which is the golden number for the 7700k.

oh the temptation!!

Nate152
I wouldn't tell you to do it if it wasn't safe.

We can work up to 5.0GHz paying close attention to the temps which are fantastic.

In bios vcore is 1.296, but in windows Aida shows 1.207
Where is the truth?

Nate152
Interesting

I believe they both could be telling the truth, the bios for sure doesn't lie and if it's only needing 1.207v to run at 4.7GHz that's a good thing. 🙂

Try running the test with the core ratio at 48 and see if the vcore jumps up any higher.

Keep an aye on the temps and let me know what they are, remember anything up to 90c is fine for stress testing.

Screenshot above. (x48)

In test vcore 1.207 (strange but 1.217 in idle)
In BIOS 1.296, basically 1.3 without any load.

Nate152
yeah man that looks super good, try the core ratio at 48.

Don't be scared, it's fine or I wouldn't tell you to do it.

The temperature controls how far you can overclock.

It IS at 48.
And what if we exceed 1.3v? Cuz i'm not sure where to look at the voltage, in bios or in aida (1.207 like it shows, this was at x46)

Nate152
ok great, if it goes over 1.30v we will set to adaptive mode and use a negative offset voltage to keep it at 1.30v or very close to it.

If you passed the test with the core ratio at 48, you can try can try the core ratio at 49, you're now at 4.9GHz which is one step away from 5.0GHz.

Are you having fun yet? 🙂

I forgot to ask how are temps at 4.8GHz?