cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU performance Spike/Lag/Choppy/Judder, help please

the_wee_man
Level 8
After getting this new system together Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT Z170 with Intel i7 6700K etc etc, I have noticed since day one there is some sort of issue I have never experienced before ever with older systems, hoping someone can help please ?

When just using as normal and moving the mouse about the screen, browsing the internet page to page etc etc etc, just general things (tried with hardwired and wireless mice, same issue).

I keep getting a performance spike and lag depending on what I click on or do but it happens with most things every few seconds or more depending on what your doing unless you leave the pc doing nothing, then it stays normal, you can hear the cpu fan rev up and back down too and thats the give away sign and then I look straight at task manager/performance tab at what the cpu has been up to in that second in time and yes it shoots right up the graph to maybe 75% usage just for that second or two, then the spike goes right back down again.

That would all be fine if that was all it done but its actually causing lag that makes the mouse choppy/stutter/judder, its very annoying as sometimes you can be dragging a file/folder or something over the screen and that happens and the mouse will drop it, plus the damn fan reving its blades up louder too.

Its as if the computer freezes just for that second then its fine again.

I have no idea at all what could be causing this, its a brand new setup with new windows 10 x64 install, only things plugged in are the mouse unifying receiver and a usb stick, thats all, this same thing has been happening since 1st day too (only the last week or so), I am totally lost, can anyone help please ?
37 REPLIES 37

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Please list all the USB devices connected to your system. Also have you installed any of the ASUS utilities?

i did mate, see above 🙂

the_wee_man
Level 8
mouse is logitech anywhere mouse mx that uses the wireless usb unifying receiver, but I tried with a wired mouse and wired keyboard too and same issue, so cant be that ?

USB stick is a kingston usb3 model which has only just been plugged in tonight, this problem or issue has been with me since first day this machine was used well before now, so I really cant see it being anything thats plugged in, but then I dont know.

Chino
Level 15
Perhaps your mouse isn't compatible with the Z170 platform. I had an old Logitech keyboard and mouse wireless kit that had the same problem.

Try disabling xHCI as a workaround. However, you will lose USB 3.0 functionality.

Chino wrote:
Perhaps your mouse isn't compatible with the Z170 platform. I had an old Logitech keyboard and mouse wireless kit that had the same problem.

Try disabling xHCI as a workaround. However, you will lose USB 3.0 functionality.

mouse works fine with the motherbaord as does its friend the logitech keyboard which is also wireless, but as i said, this issue also occurs with standard wired mouse and keyboard too.

apart from the cpu spikes the system runs extremely normal and quiet but its annoying because it spike and lags like i discribed in post one, the spikes dont appear unless I happen to be doing any random stuff just like i explained.

p.s, its like while i sit inside this web page typing here and not trying to do other things then it wont and doesnt spike, but it will do every few seconds if i go and do other things.

woops, i just added this p.s line to last post, so this one can be deleted please.

the_wee_man
Level 8
if anyone gets to see this thread that knows the answer and has a minute to answer , could you please thank you very very much indeed 🙂

the_wee_man
Level 8
anyone ?