cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Cores running very hot

Super_Gnome
Level 11
My system features an Asus motherboard and Ryujin cooler. Now today, I've noticed that the CPU cores are running at 63 degrees C or so while the CPU package temperature is a healthy 36 or so degress. The utilization of the CPU is clearly at idle when this is happening--so it is not software related.

Does anyone know why this is? Is it the cooler or paste maybe?

Edit: It appears as though that while the utilization of the cores is at idle, the clock speeds are telling a different story--as they are all currently running at around 4100 MHz. Also, when I went to shut the system down, the shut down was prevented because of some security software installation underway. But shouldn't utilization (this is using HWMonitor) rise in sequence with clock speed? I am confused. And this has been going on for at least fifteen minutes now.
3 REPLIES 3

idahosurge
Level 7
Clock speed will not necessarily change with utilization. If depends how your BIOS is setup.

For a laptop running at 4.1GHz 63C core temps are not unheard of since the cooler in a laptop is pretty small. If you have a desktop running at 4.1 GHz and you have 63C core temps at idle then that is high. If it is under a major load like a stress test or game then 63C is what I would consider normal.

EaglePC
Level 10
i9-7900x runs at almost 70c no OC running on a corsair h115i pro it is what to expect unless you delid
Asus Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7940X / Corsair H115i Pro / CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3000MHz / EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE GAMING BLACK Edition / 2x Samsung 970 Pro NMVe 1GB / 4x Samsung 850 PRO - 2TB / Asus ROG Swift PG348Q / Corsair AX 1500i / Thermaltake View 71 RGB PC Case /Win 10 PRO x64

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Such high idle temperatures are very unusual for my system. Typically the idle tempertures are in the 28 to 32 range.