cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer not powering on

Bobby_Digital
Level 7
I have been running my system for a few years now with no issues. i7-4790k, Asus Maximus VI Formula mobo, GTX 970, windows 10. I was in the middle of playing a game, paused to go do something and came back to my computer 10 min later and it was turned off. I went to power on the computer and nothing happened. Faint click and nothing turned on. I started troubleshooting and came to believe that the PSU had possibly died. Went to the store and picked up a new PSU hooked it up and when I went to turn the computer on... nothing. I pulled the GPU and the computer turns on. As soon as I put the card back in, in any slot, the computer wont turn on. The mobo lights come on but the computer wont turn on. I then pulled the power cables for the GPU and with the card in the PCI slot without power cables the computer turns on. I then tried plugging the PCI power cables back into the GPU and the computer powers on with the 6 pin cable plugged in, but will not turn on with the 8pin cable. I will be trying to find a spare computer to stick the card in tomorrow to see if its good, but any other ideas of what might be wrong? This is baffling me.
2 REPLIES 2

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sounds like the GPU has died...is it still in warranty?

I have had the GPU since 2015 so I dont believe it is still under warranty