cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cold Boot Problem? Reset required to start: TUF B450M-PLUS Gaming + SAMSUNG 960 EVO

Kartoffl
Level 7
Hi ROG Community,
I tried to figure this topic out for a week now, but still struggle to find an idea/info how to solve it.
I recently built a new system and overall I'm pretty happy, but I have a cold boot problem for an unclear reason.

Whenever I boot up the system (first time of the day) it is simply not starting.
After I hard reboot it (by holding power sw button) and boot it again, everything works flawlessly.

I never experienced any system crashes or other problems once it's actually up.
I also had no problems during the installation of Windows 10.
Everything went/is pretty much smooth(ly).
But my cold boot problem persists.

Additional info.
I did not OC the system.
I did not even enable the memory profile, so my memory is snailing around with 2132Mhz

My System:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Motherboard: TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING
Memory: G.SKILL F4-3200C16Q-64GTZR
Storage: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB (NVMe)

What I tried:
- Replace the Motherboard Battery
- Updating BIOS to latest version
- Made sure I have latest Samsung Firmware

Checked with ASUS Support which provided the following instructions:
Thank you for that. Please ensure that these settings are done inside the BIOS:
BIOS -> ADVANCED-> ONBOARD DEVICES CONFIGURATION -> SSD M.2/U.2 -> AUTO
Please see the complete M.2 setup walk through:
1. BIOS->Boot->CSM (Compatibility Support Module)->Disable
2. BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->OS Type->Other OS
3. BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->Key Management->Clear Secure Key
4. F10 (save and exit)
5. Install OS only with bootable UEFI media.
6. Re-enter BIOS after first restart during the OS installation, it will be shown within the BIOS
7. BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->OS Type->Windows UEFI mode
8. BIOS->Boot->Secure Boot->Key Management->Install Default Secure Boot Keys
9. F10 (save and exit)
10 It should resume the installation, if not, completely power down the system and turn it back on after 10 seconds.
11. Note: do not connect any external devices to the computer during the installation and best if only the M.2 SSD is installed won the system.

Please let me know if you can think of any more information, that would be helpful for debugging this problem.
Also please feel free to let me know if you should have the same motherboard and ssd and you are NOT facing this problem.

Cheers Kartoffl!
10 REPLIES 10

Baio73
Level 8
Facing a similar problem with AMD 2700x, Asus Crosshair Hero VII WiFi and Samsung 960Pro NVMe 512Gb.
I often (but not always) get a cold reset at startup (meaning the first power on of the day but also later if the system stays switched off for a long time)... I mean the system powers on for a couple of seconds and then immediately switches off. I press the power button again and then works fine loading the OS.
To me it's not a great problem, I haven't opened any assistance ticket.
Firmwares are all up to date, the SSD is in the primary NVMe slot, Windows 10 Pro 64bit installed in Legacy mode (by the way, the guide you posted is for UEFI installation).
Hope it may help!
Cheers.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:
Facing a similar problem with AMD 2700x, Asus Crosshair Hero VII WiFi and Samsung 960Pro NVMe 512Gb.
I often (but not always) get a cold reset at startup (meaning the first power on of the day but also later if the system stays switched off for a long time)... I mean the system powers on for a couple of seconds and then immediately switches off. I press the power button again and then works fine loading the OS.
To me it's not a great problem, I haven't opened any assistance ticket.
Firmwares are all up to date, the SSD is in the primary NVMe slot, Windows 10 Pro 64bit installed in Legacy mode (by the way, the guide you posted is for UEFI installation).
Hope it may help!
Cheers.

Baio

Hi Baio,

I found some recommendations to disable fast boot in UEFI AND Windows10.
I already disabled it in UEFI but not in Windows10.
From what I read on this topic it could be related.
But I guess personally it is too early to give the "all-clear"-signal.
The last two cold boots that I had went fine.

But will try to verify a little bit longer.

Cheers Kartoffl!

QuantumNite
Level 7
Kartoffl wrote:

Whenever I boot up the system (first time of the day) it is simply not starting.
After I hard reboot it (by holding power sw button) and boot it again, everything works flawlessly.

I never experienced any system crashes or other problems once it's actually up.
I also had no problems during the installation of Windows 10.
Everything went/is pretty much smooth(ly).
But my cold boot problem persists.

I have something very similar with my PRIME B450M-A.

After shutting the machine down, if I then press the power button to start it up it just hangs on the BIOS splash screen. If I then press the reset switch the machine boots fine. Also if after shutting down, I cut the power to the motherboard, then the following boot is fine.

The problem for me appears to be booting after doing a shutdown from software without either hitting the reset switch or powering off the whole motherboard.

I would be interested if this is the exact same behaviour as your machine - if so it would suggest to me this is a bug with the BIOS in B450 motherboards, as I don't think there is much else in common with our setups (I have a Ryzen 5 2600, and a spinning disk).

davemon50
Level 11
Well, when I go from cold boot I get an Invalid Partition Table error when it does not recognize my SSD. I have the same SSD as the OP here, Samsung 960 1TB except I have the Pro version. On cold boots I get the error because BIOS doesn't always pick up the drive, and then it looks for the next disk which of course does not have Windows on it. If you are getting bad cold bootup, it may be doing the same thing to you, but if you aren't getting the error simply could be because it's not looking for another drive in your sequence. In my case it typically recognizes the drive by the 3rd boot.

It's annoying but I just haven't felt like updating the BIOS yet, which will probably cure it. Like you, I have no issues at all once in Windows.
Davemon50

QuantumNite wrote:
I have something very similar with my PRIME B450M-A.
The problem for me appears to be booting after doing a shutdown from software without either hitting the reset switch or powering off the whole motherboard.
I would be interested if this is the exact same behaviour as your machine - if so it would suggest to me this is a bug with the BIOS in B450 motherboards, as I don't think there is much else in common with our setups (I have a Ryzen 5 2600, and a spinning disk).

Sounds fair. I haven't fully figured out a clear pattern yet in terms of how I shut it down.
For me it "seems" to appear after I shutdown the computer properly in Windows and leave it for an extended amount of time off (+8h)
If I remove the power cord and push the power sw (to drain all the left over juice).
and reconnect the power cord the system seems to start fine.

The topic is just very painfull to debug, because you hardly get any logs for problems happening prior OS start and if it's only happening intermittent with a "couple of hour" or half day delay for each failing start it gets a little bit frustrating.
But together we might be able to figure it out.

davemon50 wrote:
Well, when I go from cold boot I get an Invalid Partition Table error when it does not recognize my SSD. I have the same SSD as the OP here, Samsung 960 1TB except I have the Pro version. On cold boots I get the error because BIOS doesn't always pick up the drive, and then it looks for the next disk which of course does not have Windows on it. If you are getting bad cold bootup, it may be doing the same thing to you, but if you aren't getting the error simply could be because it's not looking for another drive in your sequence. In my case it typically recognizes the drive by the 3rd boot.
It's annoying but I just haven't felt like updating the BIOS yet, which will probably cure it. Like you, I have no issues at all once in Windows.

Which motherboard do you have?
BIOS has been updated to latest version, but no improvement found.
Also no issues at all once in Windows.
I guess I might actually install windows again a regular Samsung Sata 2.5" SSD just to see if I see the same problem.
Maybe something for the weekend 😄

Kartoffl wrote:

I guess I might actually install windows again a regular Samsung Sata 2.5" SSD just to see if I see the same problem.
Maybe something for the weekend 😄

I have the same exact problem as you do.

Did you solve it with the new windows install on the ssd harddrive? or did you come to any other conclusion?

Nactishe
Level 7
Anyone tried replacing PSU - curious..

Hi i have asus Tuf b450m Plus Gaming i have Cold Boot Problem

I would like to know if you solved the problem?

If so, can you tell me how you solved it, regards

davemon50
Level 11
My problem with the 960 Pro was that the boot order would get randomly shuffled in the BIOS, after which I got the Invalid Partition Table error on boot. Had to boot 3 or 4 times to get it recognized.

However, after Disabling CSM module (use UEFI only), this no longer happens and it boots to that SSD drive every single time. 😉
Davemon50