cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'CAPTCHA' just to post???

SubnetMask
Level 9
What is this stupid 'captcha' requirement just to post, even after having registered and having been approved through the moderation queue??? They absolutely suck, and in my experience, you usually have a 50% chance, or less, of getting what they are asking for right. What's the story????
4 REPLIES 4

xeromist
That's only a thing while you are considered new. After a short while and a handful of posts you can graduate to a full user and the restriction will go away. It's an anti-spam measure ASUS implemented when we were getting a deluge. It seems to be working as we don't have very many spam issues anymore.

The only thing is that some users seem to get stuck in the new mode. ASUS is aware and looking into the bug so don't be discouraged if you don't graduate immediately. Once they fix the problem everyone will be in their appropriate user group.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

The thing is I seriously doubt that the captcha on posting has any impact on spam - before your posts will show up, you need to try to post in a thread or forum just to get on a moderation queue. Or you need to PM @Bahz. I did the latter. The captcha on posting *may* cut down on the spam that ends up in the moderation queue, but not on what the members see. PM @Bahz should be an automatic 'gone with the captcha' as in order to figure out who to PM to get approved, you actually have to read and do something specific... I have a feeling this is preventing my posts from showing up still until someone approves them as one of my last posts shows up fro me, but when I refresh the list, it shows the last poster as the one before me, not me.... Captcha is infuriating because half the time you cant tell what the heck it is you're supposed to type and it takes a few trys to find something you can actually read.

SubnetMask wrote:
The thing is I seriously doubt that the captcha on posting has any impact on spam - before your posts will show up, you need to try to post in a thread or forum just to get on a moderation queue. Or you need to PM @Bahz. I did the latter. The captcha on posting *may* cut down on the spam that ends up in the moderation queue, but not on what the members see. PM @Bahz should be an automatic 'gone with the captcha' as in order to figure out who to PM to get approved, you actually have to read and do something specific... I have a feeling this is preventing my posts from showing up still until someone approves them as one of my last posts shows up fro me, but when I refresh the list, it shows the last poster as the one before me, not me.... Captcha is infuriating because half the time you cant tell what the heck it is you're supposed to type and it takes a few trys to find something you can actually read.

You may be right. Unfortunately only admins have access to the queue so there are only a couple of people doing all approvals. Anything they can do to reduce that burden probably helps. For most users this period is over quickly so while it's not ideal it also doesn't impact the user-base too badly.

We used to have an anti-spam plugin that worked pretty well automatically. It wasn't compatible with the new forum but hopefully they can find something like that again. From what I understand the staff are pretty buried right now so I'm not expecting enhancements anytime soon.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Zka17
Level 16
Don't get stuck on that captcha thing! It will go away soon enough... many of us went through this process and we're still here... - just live the ROG Life and enjoy the Forum... :cool: