cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre Screen Freezing/Twitching When Playing Any Game

SleiderVonNarwa
Level 7
I've recently been running into random screen freezing and frame rate loss issues when playing games that I can normally, run perfectly well.
I'll be playing, say, Skyrim for example, and I'm getting silky smooth 60fps with the occasional stutter here and there, and then suddenly, out of nowhere, I get bad fps drop and then my screen freezes and twitches strangely for around 15-30 seconds, then to return to normal for the next minute or so, only to happen again.
This has also happened in these games: Dark Souls 1, War Thunder, FalloutNV, and STALKER SoC.
My hardware can certainly handle all of these games, here are my specs:
MB: G20AJ
GPU:GTX 750ti
CPU: i5-4460@3.20GHZ
RAM: 8GB
I've troubleshooted for malware, heat issues, mod issues, but nothing.
Now, a disclaimer, I am still relatively new to the ins and outs of what can go wrong with a computer and its many components, and what the problems that are shown through my gameplay are indicative of in many circumstances, including this one. So, if you believe you could help me with my issue, I would very much appreciate it 🙂
8 REPLIES 8

Eleiyas
Level 10
The first thing that pops into my head (and it will most others), is that something is wrong with your graphics card and/or the drivers.

have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

Eleiyas@ASUS wrote:
The first thing that pops into my head (and it will most others), is that something is wrong with your graphics card and/or the drivers.

have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

My graphics card is actually no more than a few months old, and yes, I have the latest drivers.

Eleiyas
Level 10
if you're sure the graphics are ok - try running memtest on your RAM.
Maybe you have a faulty RAM stick.

King_Arthas
Level 7
Is there anyone that left palm area not overheating in idle ???? Please tell us what driver using...

What I fond lately... If you install fresh copy of latest windows 10 you get intel and nvidia graphics automatically installed. Then instead of using intel HD GPU, in idle is used NVIDIA GPU.

Hm.. Ill try it, but doesnt faulty ram usually mean a lot of crashing? Because I haven't been getting any of that 😕

Korth
Level 14
I'd check the DisplayPort cable. And does your monitor get really hot?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I'd check the DisplayPort cable. And does your monitor get really hot?

Well, it seems as though my initial freezing problem was due to display driver crashes, which I fixed through editing some windows settings.
However, I'm now faced with new fps drop issues I've not dealt with before. Nothing super serious, but it's very annoying how my fps drops down to 35-40 on games that I was able to run at 60+ in the past.. Especially older games like M&B warband.
I've noted that my gpu usage shoots up to 90-100% usage whilst cpu and memory stay well below half, is this normal?

I had few seconds freezing randomly on my ROG with Core i7-9700. I searched many discussions and did many things but nothing could fix it until it became worse and I noticed that the cause is my Seagate 3TB hard disk. I replaced the Hard Disk with new 4TB. It solved this randomly few seconds freezing completely.