cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair VI X370...Question Regarding power delivery

BroPhilip
Level 7
Hello, I have pre-ordered both a ryzen 1800x and the Crosshair VI. However, I noticed that the board has a 8+4 pin power deliever for the CPU. My current powersupply is a 600w and only has the 8 pin cpu plug. I will be doing some oc but not extreme oc'ing. My question is do I need the extra 4 pin. My current supply works well for my 6600k oc'ed to 4.6 on air and a good oc on my MSI GTX 1070 gaming z. My current board is an ASUS z170-a. Any thoughts and advice? I am going to upgrade my psu but would like to order an NVMe drive first (I am running a standard Hard disk at the moment) and this would eat up my budget.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hi BroPhilip

The 4-pin cpu power cable is only needed for extreme overclocking, you're fine with just the 8-pin.

Menthol
Level 14
I have no idea how a 1800x or any Ryzen reacts when under extreme load or overclocked, Although 600 watts is kind of low you should be fine as long as your PSU is not failing in any way, 4 pin is not needed except like you say for extreme overclocking,

Thank you both very much for the replies. The psu is almost brand new as I purchased it last July. I believe the nvme ssd would be the more notable upgrade as I am experiencing a lot of pop ins on open world games. It's been a long time since I have built an amd system probably late 90's early 00's. Will the power draw be much different from the 6600?. I believe the tdp of 6600k is 91 and the tdp of the 1800x is 95. The rest of the system will be the same.

Nate152
According to what you posted 4 watts shouldn't make much of a difference. If your pc is stable it might be better to upgrade your drive to an ssd, you'll have faster boot times, your games will load much faster and your pc will feel more snappy all around.

Chino wrote:
How old is your PSU? What's the model of your PSU?

It's an evga bronze 600 the psu was purchased last July....

Chino
Level 15