cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V Formula. I need another view

Kornster
Level 7
Morning All,

I have an Asus Crosshair V Formula motherboard with an FX8120 CPU, 4 x 4gig Corsair Vengeance Ram, ASUS RX480GTR Black and Antec 900Watt HCG PSU. All of this is in my previous rig (Antec 1200) that ive modded most of life and couldnt part ways. I`ve had a need to start re-using the machine (Rebuilt and replaced with another at the start of the year) but am have some difficulties.

The problem is that i turn the PC on and at some sporadic time be it 5 - 15 seconds it will just power off, fans stop, motherboard lights for reset,power and OC turn off as well as the GPU. I`ve been doing some diagnosing of the issue. I`ll list them below.

Removed all but one stick of RAM. Failed
Retried with another single stick of ram to eliminate a bad stick above. Failed
Removed GPU. Failed
Removed and re-seated 24 pin and CPU power. Failed
Removed all fan power headers. Failed
Removed all power and sata to HDD. Failed
Removed CPU, Checked Socket and pins. All fine. Powered on board for as long as it would go with HSF off, Checked CPU and heat is protruding indicating power deliverance to CPU.

Last night i full removed the MB,GPU and PSU and placed them on a non conductive surface. Powered on motherboard via power switch and after 6 seconds complete power off. This eliminates a short which i initially suspected.

I`m at a loss here as when i turn the board on and its comes to life then powers off, all lights go out but after roughly a minute or 2 the motherboard reset,power and OC lights come back on. Im suspecting a PSU fault but need another insight. If i buy a PSU and that isnt the issue then maybe motherboard, if thats not the issue then perhaps CPU or RAM and given this stuff is getting quite old in terms of spares i`m trying to avoid spending alot of money on components that may never resolve the issue. Sure i can purchase a whole new system with the current industry equipment but im trying to 1. Determine the issue if at all possible to satisfy my brain and the not knowing 2. Trying to keep cost down, i have/had a perfectly good running machine and now this is occurring without warning if i can prevent a large spend on a new machine i`d like to avoid it.

Regards
Kornster
Antec 1200 Custom Perspex Window, Asus Crosshair V Formula>Bios version 1703, AMD FX8120 CPU, Corsair Vengeance 16gig DDR3, OCZ Vertex 4 128gig SSD, Dual 2TB Barracuda drives in RAID0, Antec HCG 900Watt PSU, Sapphire Radeon 7950 Factory OC to 7970, Corsair H50 Push/Pull CPU Water Cooler, Windows 8.1 64bit.
2 REPLIES 2

RedSector73
Level 12
Replace the BIOS battery and see if anything changes.

RedSector73 wrote:
Replace the BIOS battery and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the response. Thats something i actually did but forgot to mention it. I cleared or think i cleared the CMOS as well as removed the battery and attempted to POST without the battery in and the same result.
Antec 1200 Custom Perspex Window, Asus Crosshair V Formula>Bios version 1703, AMD FX8120 CPU, Corsair Vengeance 16gig DDR3, OCZ Vertex 4 128gig SSD, Dual 2TB Barracuda drives in RAID0, Antec HCG 900Watt PSU, Sapphire Radeon 7950 Factory OC to 7970, Corsair H50 Push/Pull CPU Water Cooler, Windows 8.1 64bit.