cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Ai Suite 3 Fan Conrol Issue

Cadefoster
Level 7
I've read a lot of people have issues with ai suite but generally I've been pretty happy using the software. Recently I've started having a problem with the fan control not always remembering my settings. I usually have smart fan profiles turned off and use the fixed speed mode as I don't like hearing the fans reving up and down. Often when I boot up the system, the fan control has switched over to smart mode and its running the cpu fans over 1000rpm. Has anyone else had similar issues? I have also notice my cpu temps are fine idle, but seem bounce around under load a lot more then they used to, not sure if the too issues are related or not. I'm wondering if maybe there's been another windows update or something that's causing it.


Win 10 Home
Asus Prime z270 a
i7 7700k stock
gtx 970
16 gig ddr4
corsair 750w gold psu
cooler master 212 evo
Fractal Design R5 Case
18,376 Views
9 REPLIES 9

panzlock
Level 12
Cadefoster wrote:
I've read a lot of people have issues with ai suite but generally I've been pretty happy using the software. Recently I've started having a problem with the fan control not always remembering my settings. I usually have smart fan profiles turned off and use the fixed speed mode as I don't like hearing the fans reving up and down. Often when I boot up the system, the fan control has switched over to smart mode and its running the cpu fans over 1000rpm. Has anyone else had similar issues? I have also notice my cpu temps are fine idle, but seem bounce around under load a lot more then they used to, not sure if the too issues are related or not. I'm wondering if maybe there's been another windows update or something that's causing it.


Win 10 Home
Asus Prime z270 a
i7 7700k stock
gtx 970
16 gig ddr4
corsair 750w gold psu
cooler master 212 evo
Fractal Design R5 Case


I had this problem for a while. The only way to solve it (as far as I know) is to set fan profiles, save the settings and when Ai mucks up reload the setting and restart the PC.

Regarding CPU spikes, I'd monitor with HWinfor64, if I were you. It provides a broader range of thermal analysis including current, minimum, maximum and average temperatures. This will give you a better idea of CPU performance.

What did you link your chassis fans to, btw? The CPU, MB or PCH?
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

I have my cpu fan connected to the motherboard cpu fan header which I can control through ai suite. I have my other 2 other case fans ( front intake, rear exhaust) plugged to the motherboard as well but I cant seem to control them for some reason. This is my first build however so I might have messed something up somewhere plugging in the fans.

I've used real temp and afterburner to monitor my cpu temps and both show some weird fluctuation while gaming. Typically my temps while gaming stay within the same range so I'm not quite sure what's causing it to bounce around all of a sudden.

Cadefoster wrote:
I have my cpu fan connected to the motherboard cpu fan header which I can control through ai suite. I have my other 2 other case fans ( front intake, rear exhaust) plugged to the motherboard as well but I cant seem to control them for some reason. This is my first build however so I might have messed something up somewhere plugging in the fans.

I've used real temp and afterburner to monitor my cpu temps and both show some weird fluctuation while gaming. Typically my temps while gaming stay within the same range so I'm not quite sure what's causing it to bounce around all of a sudden.


No, I mean to which component did you link the chassis fans in Ai suite.



The chassis fans will ramp up based on either CPU, MB or PCH temps if you link them to any of these components in Ai suite. Linking the chasis fans to the MB or PCH provides more consistent fan operation which reduces noise and provides better airflow.

Can you screenshot the values of the spikes? The CPU spike frequency could occur for various reasons. Type of games you're playing, programs running in the background (anti-virus scans, file installations, etc...) or even some malware which you may not know about. Or it could be related to Ai Suite which has received a lot of disdain for its inconsistent operations.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

I just checked and I only had my chasis fan linked to the cpu. I'll add MB and PCH to see if that helps at all. I do regular scans with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky antivirus on a regular basis with no threats found. The temp spike generally look something like 60c one sec, then 68, 75, 63, 57 etc. Those aren't exact temps, just a general idea of how wide the temps jump.

Cadefoster wrote:
I just checked and I only had my chasis fan linked to the cpu. I'll add MB and PCH to see if that helps at all. I do regular scans with Malwarebytes and Kaspersky antivirus on a regular basis with no threats found. The temp spike generally look something like 60c one sec, then 68, 75, 63, 57 etc. Those aren't exact temps, just a general idea of how wide the temps jump.


Link the fans to the MB or PCH which are consistent heat generators. This will prevent annoying fan ramp ups and the steadier air flow will subsequently allow the entire system to run just a little cooler. I prefer the PCH as it runs warmer so I based my fan curves on this parameter.

Not much can be done about temp spikes which depend on CPU loads. When the CPU is loaded it needs the extra electricity which generates heat. CPU coolers can't cope with the sudden surge fast enough so you see the spike. As long as everything is running within thermal thresholds it's not a problem.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Cadefoster
Level 7
I appreciate the advice, thanks a lot. Even with the temp spikes, its not entering dangerous territory or anything. I just thought it was odd as i don't recall seeing the temps jumping around like that before. Anyway, thanks again

panzlock
Level 12
No problem.

And one thing I forgot to mention is depending on version of Ai Suite you may need to load fan curve settings every time. On my Intel system Ai forgets the loaded settings on occasion. But on my AMD system, with the newer version of DIP 5 I have to load the settings every time the PC is restarted.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Chok_Ice
Level 7
Cadefoster wrote:
I've read a lot of people have issues with ai suite but generally I've been pretty happy using the software. Recently I've started having a problem with the fan control not always remembering my settings. I usually have smart fan profiles turned off and use the fixed speed mode as I don't like hearing the fans reving up and down. Often when I boot up the system, the fan control has switched over to smart mode and its running the cpu fans over 1000rpm. Has anyone else had similar issues? I have also notice my cpu temps are fine idle, but seem bounce around under load a lot more then they used to, not sure if the too issues are related or not. I'm wondering if maybe there's been another windows update or something that's causing it.


Win 10 Home
Asus Prime z270 a
i7 7700k stock
gtx 970
16 gig ddr4
corsair 750w gold psu
cooler master 212 evo
Fractal Design R5 Case


wait until the latest windows 10 update goes public
asus suit 3 wont work anymore for anyone, until they release a fix for it

Cadefoster
Level 7
hmm, good to know. Hopefully it will force the need for a updated version of ai suite which might help with the fan control issue i'm having.