cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for opinions.

HiVan
Level 7
Hello guys, I am just a guy who owns an average PC (or even below average). This Christmas, I am looking forward to upgrade some of my parts (hopefully). I wish I would have enough money to uprade all of it, but I am not gonna get my hopes up. Anyways,

I only have
AMD A4-6300 for my processor
Emaxx E55 FM2 motherboard
4GB of RAM
R4770 Cyclone graphics card
and a (cheap & shady) 450w powersupply

YES, I don't own any ROG products so forgive me if I am posting here. But I just need opinions on knowledgeable computer users here. Without a doubt, ROG fans would know these things... So yeah. Generally, I would want to upgrade my graphics card and a get a good PSU. Along with some fans (I only have one, lol). If perhaps I have some more money... Should I upgrade to a quad-core FM2 processor? (Surely, I can't afford to upgrade my motherboard so I'm sticking to FM2) OR should I prioritize to upgrade my RAM to 8gbs instead?

Thank you for reading. Any advice would be a big help.
15 REPLIES 15

panzlock wrote:
Best advice is to save some money. You use that $200 on upgrades now, you just blew $200.

$1000 would be ideal as Nate pointed out. That will buy you a decent, somewhat modern platform.

I was in the same boat as you. I had no money, my parents were helping me pay for school. I made money where I could and when friends went out for lunch I just wouldn't get anything extravagant. Dollar by dollar I saved up enough to buy a new PC. When I finished school I got a job, saved up enough for a new car and to pay my parents back little by little. Eventually got married, had a child and now I do what I want.

Point I'm trying to make is don't settle for garbage because you want to play now. Exercise patience. Good things come to those who wait.

Thanks Panzlock. I should me more like you, damn. I'm just so tempted to buy now. Haha. But who knows, your motivation might work.

May I ask, what do you do for a living which is doing what you want? Because I'm scared that when I work, I'll no longer have time to play games. Especially when I have a wife, my girlfriend now told me she wouldn't want me to still play games when I'm working. I don't want to give up games, really, haha. It's my passion, man. It's my only real "talent".

HiVan wrote:
Thanks Panzlock. I should me more like you, damn. I'm just so tempted to buy now. Haha. But who knows, your motivation might work.

May I ask, what do you do for a living which is doing what you want? Because I'm scared that when I work, I'll no longer have time to play games. Especially when I have a wife, my girlfriend now told me she wouldn't want me to still play games when I'm working. I don't want to give up games, really, haha. It's my passion, man. It's my only real "talent".

I work in transportation. And I didn't mean I can just do whatever I want, whenever I want. But now that I work, I have money and I can spend it on things I need and things I like.When I was in school struggling for money I didn't ave that option. But now I found plenty of time for gaming, and balanced it with family life.

Don't concern yourself with such matters now. Gaming isn't important. Establishing yourself is. Not all people were born into money, some have to struggle for it so you need to prioritize.

And don't worry about the wife. As long as you give her a good rodgering every once in a while she'll accept your hobbies.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
I work in transportation. And I didn't mean I can just do whatever I want, whenever I want. But now that I work, I have money and I can spend it on things I need and things I like.When I was in school struggling for money I didn't ave that option. But now I found plenty of time for gaming, and balanced it with family life.

Don't concern yourself with such matters now. Gaming isn't important. Establishing yourself is. Not all people were born into money, some have to struggle for it so you need to prioritize.

And don't worry about the wife. As long as you give her a good rodgering every once in a while she'll accept your hobbies.

"Gaming isn't important. Establishing yourself is." Words to live by, mate. Thank you so much Panzlock. You knocked some sense in me. I shouldn't rush and overthink things. You are right. I should just let things be for now and go with the flow.

It's decided, I'll save more money for now, and I'll get back to you guys. Good luck to me in my road to Witcher 3. Thank you so much guys!

Nate152

Korth
Level 14
Financing might be an option. You could get, perhaps, a new $1000 system on your desk today with a $200 initial payment and $100 per month until fully paid off. It always costs more in the long run, you might pay $1100 or $1200 overall for your "$1000" computer. While you want to play games you might be able to claim a computer towards student loans or something. Just don't sign yourself up onto huge unpayable debts, lol, especially since any computer you buy now will become as "worthless" as your current system just a few years from now while any unpaid monies will haunt you with compound interest forever.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Financing might be an option. You could get, perhaps, a new $1000 system on your desk today with a $200 initial payment and $100 per month until fully paid off. It always costs more in the long run, you might pay $1100 or $1200 overall for your "$1000" computer. While you want to play games you might be able to claim a computer towards student loans or something. Just don't sign yourself up onto huge unpayable debts, lol, especially since any computer you buy now will become as "worthless" as your current system just a few years from now while any unpaid monies will haunt you with compound interest forever.

Oh wow, I did not think of that. Great suggestion, man. I'll try to look for some PC builds with downpayments here in my country. 😄