cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anniversary update freezing

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I can't believe this anniversary update ! :mad:

Just installed and now have freezing issues whenever AdobeCC launches for first time...cant launch any programs etc.

What a crock!

This whole industry needs a good shakeup...in fact everything everywhere needs a good shakeup....before the sheeple are led to the slaughter...

Thought for the day...
11 REPLIES 11

Chino
Level 15
Yeah. Microsoft caused a big mess with this one. The AU broke the DAC driver and now everyone is going crazy. lol

samual
Level 11
Just another day at Microsoft. Sigh...
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

xeromist
I think if they had just patched it rather than refreshing systems we wouldn't be in this position. Also if they had mentioned that it was going to work like an OS install at least we would have had some warning. I thought this was going to be like a service pack but it wasn't.

In MS's defense, an annual update cycle is something new so I guess it will take time to find legs. However that's just an explanation, not an excuse. Screwing up is still screwing up.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I am incandescent with rage right now....reported this problem to microsoft....followed their troubleshooting steps and now am stuck in safe mode bootlop with no access to desktop or possibility to run system restore or possibility to escape bootloop via cmd lines.
I will have to temporary install os try to save files and then clean install on my bot drive.

Thanks Microsoft...guess firing al the quality conteol department is working out great for your short term bottom line..

Rage against the machine! LOL

Menthol
Level 14
Can't you just roll back to previous version?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
You can't roll back if you cant get to desktop because it has frozen solid...in safe mode and does this on every boot...had to clean install.

Funny thing is I downloaded latest iso and clean installed that, so I have the anniversary update running perfectly now so it's just the update process that screwed things up....as they so often do.

In the past I've noticed upgrading win 7 to 8 left you with a running OS but a totally borked one for OCing. Needing more voltage. Upgrading 8.1 to 10 same... Clean install always best unfortunately because they just can't/wont get it together...

xeromist wrote:
Also if they had mentioned that it was going to work like an OS install at least we would have had some warning

Exactly....I'd have clean installed in the first place had I known this... in place upgrades just wreck OS/performance..

Chino wrote:
Yeah. You get a 10 day rollback period.

They are so generous! 😉 maybe if I send them the bill for my time sorting this out they will pay that?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
You can't roll back if you cant get to desktop because it has frozen solid...in safe mode and does this on every boot...had to clean install.

Funny thing is I downloaded latest iso and clean installed that, so I have the anniversary update running perfectly now so it's just the update process that screwed things up....as they so often do.

In the past I've noticed upgrading win 7 to 8 left you with a running OS but a totally borked one for OCing. Needing more voltage. Upgrading 8.1 to 10 same... Clean install always best unfortunately because they just can't/wont get it together...

Exactly....I'd have clean installed in the first place had I known this... in place upgrades just wreck OS/performance..

They are so generous! 😉 maybe if I send them the bill for my time sorting this out they will pay that?

Just stopping through to check out latest and greatest news from Asus, but i too got hit with the freeze, didnt know what was going on until i wanted to head to Safe Mode and got frozen.

You should be patched / unfrozen now? yes ?

If not and if keeps happening with no way out to et to desktop with only one install disk, you can try Boot Override to UEFI-EFI or UEFI DVD Rom

that should override to installed boot path directly to windows.

But us insiders on the fast track ( not that i wanted to be one) i signed up 1 year ago and bailed after 2 weeks, and they just keep re-enrolling me, anyways, how i beat the anniversary update at there own game.

Grab a copy of 1511, the previous build before AU

Clean install to 1511 desktop, W/O internet, click Framework 3.0, 4.0 should be baked in already

Drop in the 1609 AU update Upgrade disk you made after making a clean 1511 disk,

Get to the option to check for updates and system updates and driver updates, ( with the programs and features combo box still open)

Quickly connect to internet , click download Framework 3.0, allow it to finish and immediately click the Upgrade Installer to start checking system,driver and component updates, it should download now drivers, component updates and drivers+ the 1609 patch and updates for 1609 and take about 1-2hrs depending on system and SSD/HDD speed...

Cheers, allow it to boot to new 1609 desktop and enjoy A flawless anniversary edition. For me i hadto install 8.1 under a public key and reinstall original drivers and reset my laptop from scratch.

IIt would have been noce if they had sent out a Email instead of me thumbing through FORBES magazine to find out what was happening to my laptop, i mean these things can only take so much hardware strain before they give out.

Hope people find this info useful

Just to add a comment about the AU update. After I had the update, I was not able to launch a couple of games and Sonic Studio. I re-installed them and now they work. It did some other screwy stuff too, but I don`t recall what they were.