cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AMD R9 = HD 8xxx ?

BearCat
Level 10
Is AMD's new lineup of the R9 series GPU's the HD8xxx series we've been waiting on or is that still in the future? Sounds like the R9 280x is a rebranded HD 7970 with little if any improvement. The R9 290x looks good but if there's another series around the corner it may be worth waiting.
9 REPLIES 9

Zka17
Level 16
The only new series are the R9 290s... the others are just rebranded/renamed ones...

Waiting depends what is your time-frame for buying - it always be never hardware out there...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The R9 290/290X are the next gen card...so yes the "8xxx" series by all accounts..

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
The HD8xxx series is the rebadged HD7xxxm VGA's for laptops. From now on, the new naming convention is what we're stuck with and as Z pointed out, the 290(x) are the brand new cards, the rest are rebadged 7xxx cards.

BearCat
Level 10
Alright thanks. The 290x is still around $600 here. I'll hang on to my HD 7970's for a bit.

BearCat wrote:
Alright thanks. The 290x is still around $600 here. I'll hang on to my HD 7970's for a bit.

And it will stay at that price until the next lineup come round, whenever that is.

No, they are rebranded and tweaked 7xxx series cards. Only 3 cards are based on new chips.
Exactly the same as nvidias GTX 7xx series, rebranded and tweaked GTX 6xx series.

vBDKv wrote:
No, they are rebranded and tweaked 7xxx series cards. Only 3 cards are based on new chips.
Exactly the same as nvidias GTX 7xx series, rebranded and tweaked GTX 6xx series.

Already been said by myself, Zka17 and Arne Saknussemm 😛

Poco_OM
Level 10
Just for Myk

Sup Op
Yeah dude everything but the new Hawaii chips are a rehash of old technology.

Of course you got the 780ti to consider now also.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmmm Just to be clear for those finding this thread the Nvidia 770 is GK104 same chip as 6xx series. 780 and Titan and 780Ti are all GK110 totally different chip. But all are Kepler series.